Chapter 22: Dance Dance Infiltration: Part 1

3rd Person POV

Vale's Clothing Store

"Sooooo... why are we doing this again?" Sincline asked as he, Jaune, Mercury and Ren examined a line of suits. After spending the night in the temple, the four of them had headed to Vale to acquire their own suits for the dance.

Mercury shrugged, fingering a grey suit with the edges trimmed in black. "Well, it's probably better if we take care of this instead of the girls, right?" he asked.

Ren shivered. "Can you imagine what Nora would make me wear? Or make Jaune wear?"

All four boys shuddered at the thought.

"I still don't get why we have to wear suits," Sincline muttered. The concept just didn't make sense.

"If there are three things I've learned in life, it's these," Mercury informed him as the two walked behind a line of suits. "A: Women can be terrifying when they want to be. B: Never get in the way of a woman when she wants something. And C: It's better to pick your own suit out and hope the woman you're dating has mercy than to let her pick it for you."

"Unless it's Pyrrha," Ren interjected as he and Jaune put away yet another set of unsatisfactory dress suits. "She's much less dangerous than Nora... well, on a daily basis."

"By the way, has Pyrrha asked Jaune out yet?" Mercury asked, shaking his head as Sincline held up a suit with black and grey diagonal stripes. The four of them, after trying to address the matter of how dense Jaune was, had caught Mercury up to date on everything going on in Beacon (which the assassin had been all too happy to learn).

Jaune blinked. "Why would she do that?"

Mercury and Sincline froze, staring at him in disbelief. Ren just sighed. "It's no use. He's a lost cause."

"No kidding," Sincline muttered. Even he could tell how much Pyrrha liked/adored Jaune.

If he can't tell a girl like THAT likes him, he wouldn't survive one minute as an assassin, Mercury though disapprovingly before nodding toward Ren. "So, you're going with the hammer girl, right?" Ren nodded and Mercury walked over to pat him on the shoulder. "You'll be fine. We already dug a grave for you."

"Thanks," Ren deadpanned.

"Hey, guys, will this this work?" Sincline called. The two of them turned and found Sincline holding up a four-piece black and silver suit.

Mercury and Ren exchanged looks. Ren shrugged. "Well, it certainly fits your color scheme," the black-haired Huntsman commented.

"Just as long as you don't pull a Jaune," Mercury agreed, chuckling.

Jaune looked confused. "What?"

Mercury sighed. "Never mind. Anyway, I'm going with this one." He held up a suit of his own. It was mainly black and trimmed in grey.

Sincline nodded and gave him a thumbs up. "Looks good. But do you really think Yang's going to like it?" he asked curiously.

Mercury shrugged, slinging the suit over his shoulder. "I figured I could ask blondie for a dance after it starts."

Sincline tilted his head. "Why not ask her to go with you first?"

Mercury just shrugged. "Plot."

"What about me and Ren?" Jaune asked, jumping into the conversation.

Mercury shrugged again. "I don't think it matters what you wear. Pyrrha's gonna love it anyway." How can he be THIS dense? he wondered. Before he met Jaune, he wouldn't have believed such a level were possible... yet here Jaune was, proving him wrong.