Chapter 48: Never Miss a Beat

3rd Person POV

Amity Arena

"That was awesome!" Ruby cheered as Penny and her teammate finished wiping the floor with Dove and Sky from Team CRDL, the crowd consequently erupting into cheers (the students from Beacon most of all).

"Yeah... It was pretty cool," Sincline agreed halfheartedly and looked down at his boots sadly.

"What's wrong?" Yang asked, eyeing him worriedly.

Sincline held up his empty bag. "I ran out of popcorn," he answered, causing Team RWBY and JNPR to sweatdrop.

Mercury looked over from where he was sitting beside Yang. "You too?" he asked, surprised. "Blondie stole all mine."

"Hey, it's your fault for sitting next to me," Yang pointed out, winking and tossing a piece of popcorn into her mouth and swallowing.

"I swear: she's trying to torture me with every movement of hers," Mercury groaned, sliding down in his seat, head slumping in despair as Yang laughed maniacally.

"At least you don't have anyone...." Sincline trailed off, looking down at his soda... which had been slurped empty. "...stealing your drinks," he said finally and narrowed his eyes at his girlfriend.

Ruby blinked innocently, licking her lips and wiping her mouth with her sleeve. "I didn't do it!" she said, raising her hands with her fingers crossed.

"...I'm pretty sure you did," Sincline sighed. Staring at what remained of his beloved drink for a long moment, he tossed the empty cup over his shoulder and into a trash can in the row behind him.

"Nice shot," Mercury commented, then nodded over at Penny as she and another girl emerged from the arena, walking down a corridor parallel to the stands. "Hey, isn't that your friend?"

"Penny!" Ruby called and jumped down, grabbing Sincline by the wrist and dragging him with her.

Eyes wide, Sincline only had time to stare at his teammates and mouth 'help' before he was promptly yanked after Ruby, leaving a dotted outline where he had been.

"Ruby, Sincline!" Penny called happily and tackled them in a hug, knocking both to the ground.

"...why?" Sincline groaned from his spot beneath Ruby and Penny. How did he end up at the bottom every single time?!

"Ruby, Sincline, this is my teammate, Ciel Soleil," Penny introduced as she helped Ruby up and nodded toward her dark-haired comrade. Ciel had blue eyes and a gold marking of an oval surrounded by four smaller circles in the center of her forehead. She wore a blue beret, a plain, off-white shirt with golden buttons and an asymmetrical collar, and elbow-length black gloves with a wristwatch on her left hand. She also wore a blue combat skirt with a black waistband and black shoes alongside white, golden-buttoned boot chaps.