Chapter 42: Vytal Festival

3rd Person POV

Patch

Walking up to the edge of the cliff, Rose petals trailing off her cape, Ruby paused and pushed back her hood, predawn light catching on her cloak as a gust of wind sifted through her black, red-tipped hair.

"Hey, Mom," she said softly, looking down at the grave at her feet, a rose etched in silver over the inscription: Summer Rose, Thus Kindly I Scatter.

"Sorry I haven't come by in a while," she apologized. "Things have been... well, things have been pretty busy. Oh! Dad's here too! He's, uh, you know... Dad." She gave a sheepish smile. "He's still teaching at Signal, but he told me he's going out on some missions soon. I think he misses adventuring with you...."

Ruby looked down, staring at her boots as they sank into the damp grass. "I miss you too," she said quietly, wind swirling gently around her. "Haven't gotten kicked outta Beacon yet. So that's cool. I think being on a team with Yang helps. I keep her in line... that was a joke. She's actually a really great fighter! You can tell she's learned a lot from Dad.

"And I even have a boyfriend now! Sincline." She smiled faintly. "He's just the best. He's actually an alien/tech robot guy. He's really cool, and I've been helping him become human. Honestly, I think he's helped me just as much as I've helped him. And get this, Yang actually approved! Dad's met Sincline, and he approves too! You'd like him.

"Oh, and then there's Weiss and Blake. They're my teammates; together, we form Team RWBY!" She gave a soft laugh. "And, yes, before you ask... that does cause a lot of confusion. Anyways, uh, I made a bunch of new friends, and I met some... uh, let's just say 'odd' teachers. Oh, we've also stopped some bad guys too. I guess it's like they say, 'Like mother like daughter.'"

Wind whistled around her for a long moment, grass swaying in the breeze. "I still wonder why Ozpin let me into the school early," Ruby went on, looking down slightly. "Sincline thinks it was because of my silver eyes, but... uh, I guess Ozpin will tell me one day. You know how he is. It's funny, the more I get to know him, the more he starts sounding like Uncle Qrow."

Hearing a dog bark, she looked back to the tree line, where Sincline, Accalia (who had teleported to Patch that morning), Zwei, and her father, Tai, were waiting. Weiss had returned to Atlas to set her affairs in order and finalize the details with Robyn while Yang had decided to go to Vale early and hang out around town with Blake.

"Oh, looks like Dad and Sincline are back. I gotta go! He's dropping me and Sincline off at Beacon for the tournament before he goes on his next mission. Wish me luck!" Pulling her hood back over her head, she turned and ran back over to Sincline, glancing back one last time at the grave. "It was good to talk," she whispered.

"You ready, Rubes?" Sincline asked, catching her in an embrace as she tackled him in a hug. While Ruby had been conversing with her mother, her father had practically grilled Sincline on... well, pretty much everything. Tai had never had the chance since Sincline was either hanging out with the girls (while Weiss and Yang had been there), or secretly training with Ruby in order to unlock her eyes... something they had yet to accomplish.