Chapter 15: Living in a Nightmare: Part 5

3rd Person POV

Courtyard

For a long moment, all was still, Sincline staring at the massive version of Nightmare Weiss in pure, unadulterated shock. Her power... does she even have a limit here?! he wondered. Her power was already awesome, but if it increased with her size and that armor... I don't have any other choice, do I? There's only one way I can match her strength.

Raising his head to meet her gaze, Sincline closed his eyes and drew on his core like never before. If this is a dream... if this is OUR dream... then I can do it. I can beat her. His eyes glowed; energy tore through him, and a flash of light erupted from his body.

Shielding her eyes as the glow faded away, Nightmare Weiss turned back to Sincline... and her jaw dropped, her lips parting in surprise as he stood across from her, easily rivaling her height... possibly surpassing it. How did he... no. That's impossible! A shiver ran down her spine as she felt his freezing aura expand, dropping the temperature. The energy radiating from his body cold, ancient... and powerful. What is this power?

A tremor ran through the city, the buildings around them began vibrating, and their surroundings became distorted. Sincline backed up, and Nightmare Weiss did the same, eyeing each other warily as chunks of stone began floating off the ground. A sharp crack filled the air, and both looked up to find a series of jagged marks slowly spreading across the clouds.

Sincline blinked, staring at the sight in shock. Is the sky falling?! It was official: Nightmares are the craziest things he's ever seen in Remnant.

As they watched, the cracks spread until the entire sky was spiderwebbed. Then, as if that weren't enough, the landscape itself began fracturing, glowing lines of purple energy zigzagging across the ground and through the city. Finally, with the sound of breaking glass, the entire dreamscape shattered, dispersing into millions of icy fragments.

Eyes wide, both of them stared in shock as they found themselves standing on an endless plane with the sky mirroring its appearance. It was like the Quintessence Field... except Nightmare Weiss's half of the plain was full of swirling clouds of white energy and shimmering snowflakes.

Sincline's was much different. Where hers was light and swirling, his was a mirror plane of darkness and fluctuating purple energy. Both ends of their planes vanished into the horizon, merging into a mixed hue of icy blue and glowing purple.

(A/N) Like this, except the left side is white, blue, and has snowflakes

What in the...? Sincline blinked, staring at their surroundings in bewilderment. He could still sense Weiss's Dreamscape, but it wasn't as... solid. It was like her entire Dreamscape had collapsed into the mist surrounding the dark Heiress. But then... does that mean that this is my Dreamscape? he wondered, glancing around at his spectral surroundings. It was... simple, but something told him that his 'Dreamscape' held a lot more than just an unearthly appearance.