Chapter 34: A Good Day

3rd Person POV

Argus Military Base

"Oh, c'mon!" Saphron protested as she, Sincline, and Maria stood opposite a pair of guards standing on the other side of the gate. It had been an hour since the gates had been shut, rather rudely, right in their faces. "You haven't even heard us out!"

"Our orders are clear," one of the guards replied. Identical in appearance, the two Nubuck guards were tall and broad-shouldered. Their uniforms included caps with visors pulled down over their eyes.

          "The Argus military base is closed to outsiders for the time being!" the second added

"Please—"

"—have a good day!" the second finished.

"But—"

"A GOOD DAY!" Both guards said in unison, snapping to attention with a brisk crack of their uniforms.

Sincline blinked, not sure if he should be offended by their refusal or impressed at how easily they spoke in unison. Their Auras are almost identical, as are their features... maybe they're twins. Still, he was supposed to meet up with Ironwood, so... time to be diplomatic. "Look, if you don't want to believe that I know Ironwood—" Sincline started.

"General Ironwood!" Both guards snapped back in unison before returning to their previous stance.

Sincline sweatdropped, and Maria rolled her eyes. "Of course. But I have clearance from Ironwood himself. I'm here to help with testing the Particle Barrier."

The guards didn't look convinced, and Sincline sighed, glad that Weiss had predicted that he would have trouble. "If it helps, I'm also here on behalf of Weiss Schnee." Pulling the card out of his jacket, he held it out, the snowflake emblem catching the light. Weiss had told him how big the Schnee family name was in Atlas, so if they wouldn't listen to him about Ironwood, then there was a chance that they would by dropping her name. Which shouldn't be possible, since the General's name SHOULD outrank Weiss's in terms of power and influence, he thought.

The guards exchanged looks before snapping back to Sincline. "Approach!"

...or not. Blinking, Sincline glanced at Saphron, and she shrugged, hands spread in a 'what can I do about it' gesture. He sighed and stepped forward to the gate as the guards halted exactly a foot away on the other side. As one, they bent 90 degrees and examined the card in Sincline's palm.

Sincline gulped, and he felt a bead of sweat drip down the back of his neck. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea. If Ironwood wasn't there yet, he could probably just wait until he arrived and—

"Very well!" As one, both guards returned to their previous stance, hands clasped behind their backs.

"You may speak with our commanding officer."