Chapter 3: Learning the Basics

3rd Person POV

RWBY Dorm

"This. Ends. Now." His eyes flashing as his talons curled, sharp claws sparking against each other, Sincline bent his head and shot forward in a burst of speed.

"Look out!"

Twisting into a spin, his tail slamming against Blue with a horrible scream, Sincline sent the lion flying with a shriek of pain. Like a shadow of death, he reached out. Seizing Yellow by the tail with both hands, he hurled him into Blue as she tried to recover before diving in a surge of speed, multiple blasts of shimmering energy hissing overhead.

"It's way faster than us!" the green Paladin's voice shouted as Sincline shot up, vanishing in a burst of speed.

Green turned, activating her thrusters in a desperate attempt to escape, but Sincline would not be denied. Like a bird of prey, he swooped down from above, his foot slamming into her back with a thunderous ring and an explosion of fragments.

It wasn't a battle. It was a massacre. Even though the Lions outnumbered him four to one, it might as well have been four cubs against a hurricane. And he... he was the storm. Merciless. Methodical. Dangerous.

They engaged again and again, explosions of energy erupting across the broken field of Daibazaal. Occasionally they landed a blow--a laser to his side, a Jawblade to his shoulder--but none of it mattered. They might as well have been trying to escape Death itself.

Eyes flying open, Sincline sat up, his body shaking as a bolt of panic tore through him. He could feel it, the adrenaline running through his body, the power crackling through his veins... he remembered it. But he remembered the screams, too. The helplessness of the Lions as he practically tore them apart... It was just a dream, he whispered, trying to calm down as he took a shuddering breath.

But as much as he tried to convince himself that's all it was, he couldn't deny it. He couldn't deny the truth of what he'd done. Sincline gritted his teeth, digging his fingers into his palms so hard he could practically feel the blood welling up... and that's when he became aware of a strange weight lying across his torso.

Blinking, his attention shifting, Sincline hesitantly looked down... and almost jumped out of his skin. Curled up against his side, her arms wrapped around his waist... was Ruby. Sincline stared at her for a long moment, his eyes as wide as a rift. For a long moment, he was frozen, staring at the young Rose as she clung to his side, a soft smile crossing her gentle lips as her hair caught the light of the rising sun.

A shiver of danger ran across Sincline's body, and he stiffened as alerts flashed across his HUD, warning of a dangerous energy spike. Ever so slowly, he turned, and his wide, purple eyes met Yang's raging red. Well... I guess whatever trust I had with her is gone. Oh, and I'm about to die. Great...

"Sleep well, Sincline?" Yang asked, her voice deadly calm. An ominous creak filled the air as she slowly cracked her knuckles, Blake and Weiss watching helplessly from the sidelines.

Sincline froze, multiple emotions tearing through him in a hurricane as numerous escape plans and contingencies flashed across his HUD. His systems flared, all warning of the same thing: he was so, so screwed. How the Quiznak am I gonna get out of this one? "I'm going to be absolutely honest," he said, shocking himself with how calm he sounded. Then again, that was probably better than freaking out, so it was a start. "I have... no idea how this happened."