Chapter 54: The Eye of the Storm

3rd Person POV

Vacuo Beach

"Come on in, Ice Queen!" Yang called, bringing her hand down and sending a wave of water cascading over Sincline and Ruby, who returned fire just as fast as their battle transformed into an all-out splash war.

Weiss rolled her eyes. "I'm fine, thank you very—" She was cut off as water poured over her head and looked up just in time to see Sincline warping back into the water, whistling innocently. "Oh, you're on!" Springing to her feet, Weiss dashed into the water as Blake rolled her eyes and returned her attention back to her book, eyeing a fish she saw swimming in her peripheral vision.

Seeing her gaze, Accalia stood, stretched, and walked to the edge of the water. Freezing there for several seconds, her head darted forward, her jaws snapping shut around the fish's tail. She pulled back, yanking a large tuna onto the sand. Pulling its body fully onto the beach, Accalia rested the fish at Blake's feet and sat on her haunches, her head tilted.

Blake blinked and smiled, her eyes lighting up as she examined the fish. "Alright, maybe I was wrong about you," she admitted, and Accalia barked happily.

"Chicken fight!" Ruby shouted and jumped on Sincline's shoulders, causing him to hold on to prevent her from falling.

"Oh, it's on," Yang shot back, and Weiss jumped on her shoulders as well, balancing precariously as she grinned at her teammates challengingly.

Deciding to just go with it (and idly wondering how chickens had anything to do with waterplay), Sincline rushed forward as Yang did the same, and Ruby and Weiss clashed above, hands locking as they pushed against each other.

"You're going down, Little Red!" Weiss taunted as the four of them fought, using her taller size to force Ruby back.

"Bring it on, Ice Queen!" Ruby challenged and pushed back.

Getting an idea, Sincline grinned, jumped, and twisted. Weiss yelped in surprise, and Ruby took the advantage, pushing her over and causing her and Yang to fall into the waves.

"We did it!" Ruby cheered, sliding off Sincline's shoulders and into his arms, giving him a quick kiss. Before they could react, something latched onto Sincline's ankle and yanked backward, dumping the mech-turned-human and Ruby into the water.

"That's why you never let your guard down!" Yang cackled as she and Weiss exchanged high-fives.

Swimming back up, Sincline and Ruby exchanged looks before bursting into laughter, Yang and Weiss doing the same while Blake rolled her eyes, a small smile on her lips before she went back into tearing into her tuna, tossing some pieces over to Accalia.

"So, what do you guys want to do now?" Sincline asked as they walked up to the beach to dry off. Grabbing his towel, he slung it over his shoulders before taking a drink of water from one of the bottles that Yang had brought.

"How about we play some volleyball?" Yang suggested, drying herself off before tossing her towel back on her beach chair.

Sincline tilted his head. "What's volleyball?"

"Here," Yang said. Picking up a volleyball she had packed in her bag, she spun it on her finger. After explaining the basic rules, she looked at him expectantly. "You got it?"

"Two teams, whoever scores up to 21 points wins," Sincline listed, mentally running over the other various instructions. "I get it."

Yang grinned predatorially. "Alright then. Ruby, you're on Sincline's team. Weiss?"