Chapter 56: Gauntlets and Greaves

3rd Person POV

Amity Arena

I hope I'm wrong... but what if I'm right? Sincline wondered, his glowing eyes narrowed. It could be nothing... but could he take that chance? Whatever the case, Yang and Mercury's match was about to start. He would just have to keep an eye out.

With a creak, the center of the arena lifted into the air, and a large grid extended above, lights activating and shining down on the two combatants.

"You better not go easy on me," Yang taunted, placing a hand on her hip and flashing him a teasing smile.

Mercury chuckled, shaking his head as he sent her a grin in reply. "You wish," he shot back, earning a competitive smirk from the blond. This is gonna be fun, the assassin thought, raising his fists.

Yang mirrored, and the two edged toward each other, slowly closing the distance as the lights shone above.

"Three... Two... One... Fight!"

Pulling back just as their hands touched, Yang drew back a fist while Mercury jumped and did a spinning back kick. The two blows connected midair, and a shockwave tore across the stadium.

Landing on his feet, Mercury charged forward and jumped, aiming a kick, and Yang flipped over him.

Yang landed in a roll, spun, and charged. She launched a Dust shell at him, only for Mercury to sidestep. Blocking a series of punches, he lashed out and flipped, kicking Yang in the torso and unloading a Dust shell that sent her flying backward. Mercury landed on his feet and smirked. Kicking off the ground, Mercury dodged a stream of Dust rounds and jumped into the air.

Mercury swung an axe kick down toward Yang, only for the blond brawler to cross her arms, blocking the attack. He flipped, dodging a kick, ducked a Dust shell aimed at his head, and backflipped again, his foot connecting with Yang's jaw and knocking her into the air.

Yang landed on her feet and fired her gauntlets, the recoil propelling herself toward Mercury. Unloading a barrage of blows to his torso, Yang tried a kick at his head, only for Mercury to intercept with one of his own. Mercury flipped, bringing his foot down hard, and she dodged out of the way.

Pushing himself onto one hand, Mercury kicked Yang in the side with one leg, then pivoted and kicked her in the knee with the other. He spun, lashing out at Yang's head, and she dodged before flipping backward as Mercury swung his foot down, his boot slamming into the arena floor and causing it to shatter and implode.

Mercury spun again, delivering a kick to Yang's torso that also knocked him to the ground. He did a backspin to his feet and dashed forward, aiming a sharp kick toward Yang's chest.

"Again with the spinning?" Yang taunted, catching the blow on her forearm.

"It's a good trick," Mercury replied and spun again, aiming a kick at her side.

Blocking the blow, Yang uppercut him in the jaw then delivered a powerful elbow strike powered by her gauntlet into his ribs, the hard blow sending Mercury to the ground.

Pushing himself up, Mercury backflipped rapidly, dodging a barrage of shells from Yang. One finally connected, and Mercury was sent flying off the edge of the platform. Thinking quickly, Mercury fired both boots, sending him flying through the air above the arena. Landing on his feet, Mercury lashed out, unleashing a barrage of kicks toward Yang.

"I knew you liked hitting on me, but this is ridiculous," Yang quipped, barely blocking each strike as sparks flew.

"What can I say? Mercs and Gold go together~" Mercury teased.