Chapter 38: Retribution

3rd Person POV

Atlas Control Room

"—bastard is costing me more money every day with this secret project of his," the familiar voice of Jacque Schnee echoed throughout the room as Sincline, the remaining Ace Ops, Saphron, and Ironwood watched the contents of the dropped SDC drive the mech-turned-human had recovered from the alley. It had been roughly a day since the Leviathan's attack and a few hours after the impromptu funeral for Maria, Elm, Vine, and the rest of those who had fallen during the assault.

Fists clenching, nails digging into his palms, Sincline gritted his teeth as he stared at the repulsive form of Jacque Schnee sitting in his study, a glass of ice water in hand while he conversed with a tall man with short black and gray hair, a thick mustache and eyebrows, and green eyes. Clad in a grey overcoat with yellow linings, a yellow dress shirt, and a black necktie, he also wore grey pants and cordovan shoes.

 Clad in a grey overcoat with yellow linings, a yellow dress shirt, and a black necktie, he also wore grey pants and cordovan shoes

Arthur Watts, Sincline thought, pulling up a file on his HUD. A disgraced Atlesian scientist presumed dead. Worked on the same research team that built Penny... it looks like he's not as dead as we thought.

"I'd lay off every employee in Mantle if I wasn't trying to get their damn votes for this Council seat," Jacque Schnee went on, slamming his drink on the armrest of his chair and spilling some water onto the floor.

"What if I said you could have your cake and eat it too?" Arthur asked knowingly, taking a seat diagonal to the Schnee 'patriarch.'

"...what did you have in mind?" Jacque asked curiously.

"James Ironwood never recognized my genius," Watts explained, leaning toward him conspiratorially. "After everything I gave him, he still disgraced me. I simply wish to return the favor."

Jacque raised an eyebrow. "What's in it for me?"

"A seat on the Council," Watts replied. "And total dependence on Dust. I happen to have an... associate, who can make that happen. It all begins... and ends, with Argus. All I need is your login credentials to the Atlas network. You promise to make Ironwood's life a waking nightmare, and I will guarantee an increase in your market, and a surefire victory at the polls by giving the voters a little... 'digital push,' if you will."

A pause. Then Jacque grinned, a despicable smile that sent a familiar tidal wave of rage rushing through Sincline's veins. "I always knew you were a good scientist, Arthur, but I never knew you were such a good salesman," he laughed.

"Enough," Ironwood ordered, and Sincline cut the feed, glad for the excuse.

For a long time, the room was silent, all six contemplating the impact of the video's contents.