Chapter 66: Battle for Remnant: Part 1

3rd Person POV

Vale Safe Zone

"Sincline!" Upon hearing her voice, Sincline paused at his position at the end of the airstrip. He turned and found Yang and the others running after him. "Since when can you give speeches like that?" Yang asked.

Sincline shrugged. "Must be a side-effect of having a genocidal maniac as a pilot," he joked half-heartedly.

Mercury barked a laugh, and Yang bit back a smile. Her eyes flashed, and her gaze turned serious. "Still, are you sure you want to go through with this?" she asked.

"Yang, you know I have no choice," Sincline replied gently, turning to face the rest of the group. "All of you know that." And he knew it, too. There was no other way.

"Maybe, but it doesn't mean we have to like it," Pyrrha replied, fighting back the sadness that threatened to overcome her.

Sincline smiled. "At least if we fail, we'll all die together," he commented.

"Eh, that's a bit too Grimm for my tastes," Mercury joked, pinching his fingers together and earning a laugh from the group.

Sincline chuckled. "Sorry, Merc... Yang's still better."

Yang grinned triumphantly as Mercury threw his hands up. "Are you kidding me?!" he exclaimed, but he was glad that they were still able to joke around... at least, for the time being.

"To be fair, there's only one Queen of Puns, Merc," Yang teased, resting an arm on his shoulder and poking his cheek. "Me."

"Well then," Mercury replied, flashing her a grin, "it's a good thing I'm your King."

Yang grinned back, and the group exchanged smiles.

"Guys..." Everyone looked over at Jaune as the young Huntsman pointed toward the horizon.

Following his gaze, Sincline's eyes narrowed as he saw the sun slowly rising above the mountains in the distance. "It's time."

Everyone straightened, their faces hardening as soldiers around them prepared for what could very well be the final battle Remnant would ever see. Families said goodbye to ones they knew would likely never return, and friends clasped arms, all knowing the danger ahead.

"So... this is it," Ren said somberly, voicing everyone's thoughts.

"No matter what happens," Weiss said suddenly, causing everyone to turn to her, "I'm glad that whatever we're doing... we're doing as friends."

"Agreed." Jaune nodded, as did Pyrrha, Ren, and Nora.

"We've come a long way and stopped a lot of criminals," Blake agreed. "What's one more?"

Yang grinned, slamming her fists together. "I like the way you think," she declared.

"We all made a promise to Ruby," Sincline stated, causing everyone to face him as the mech-turned-human looked over them, his eyes flashing. "Let's bring her back."

"Glad you're determined, kiddo."

Turning, Sincline nodded as Qrow, Summer, Raven, and Tai walked toward them, their weapons sheathed.

"You're sure this will work?" Tai asked.

Sincline nodded. "It has to."

Raven examined him, her red eyes intense. "You believe you are strong enough to bring her back?" she asked finally. "To save her?"