Chapter 68: Battle for Remnant: Part 3

3rd Person POV

Evernight Castle

"Ruby," Sincline whispered, staring at Ruby in horror as she advanced on him with a predatory grace.

"Do you still believe you can win, Sincline?" Salem asked, her gaze darkly intent as Cinder, Tyrian, Emerald, the Hound, Watts, and another emerged from the shadows to stand at her side.

The newcomer was a tall man with brown hair and hazel eyes. Large scars ran up his arms, and he wore a two-tone olive-green coat over a black shirt and a large belt. His pants were black, a pouch strapped to each leg, and he wore brown boots. 

"Madam," he acknowledged, his gaze flicking to Yang and Mercury who were pinned to the walls, Grimm arms wrapped around their bodies with sharp talons digging into their skin

"Madam," he acknowledged, his gaze flicking to Yang and Mercury who were pinned to the walls, Grimm arms wrapped around their bodies with sharp talons digging into their skin. "Is there a problem?"

"Ah, Hazel, Watts, you're just in time," Salem said, the Hound curling up to rest at her feet, its body limp except for the constant shifting of its dark, tar-like figure and purple mist that leaked from its spines and radiated from its paws.

"In time for what?" Watts asked, straightening his tie self-importantly.

Her eyes gleaming, Salem gestured to Sincline with a casual wave of her hand. "This young man believes that he is worthy to be my combatant," she stated. "So, let us test his resolve." Her gaze turned to Ruby, and she smiled. "Finish him."

"With pleasure~" Her lips curving into a sadistic smile, Ruby turned her gaze to Sincline and advanced, the dark blade of her scythe sparking across the ground.

Ruby dashed forward, her scythe hissing toward his chest. Cold energy bolted through his veins, and he drew his swords. Crossing them, he winced as the blow connected, throwing him backward into the wall.

"Ruby, please!" Sincline pleaded as she stalked toward him, a malicious smirk playing on her lips. "I don't want to fight you!"

"That's funny," Ruby giggled, licking her lips as dark energy flared at the corners of her eyes. "Because I want to kill you!" She lunged, her blade hissing toward his chest, and he raised his swords, deflecting the attack.

Continuing with the spin, Ruby spun low, and her scythe slammed into Sincline's legs, whipping them out from under him and sending him crashing to the ground.

Wincing, Sincline pushed himself up. The air parted above him, and he instinctively rolled to the side, barely avoiding Ruby's scythe as it pierced into the ground where he had been, the stone imploding on impact.

"Do you see it now?" Salem asked as Sincline rolled to his feet, summoning his armor once more. "Simply accept the futility of your situation, and this can all be over."