Chapter 25: Search and Destroy: Part 1

3rd Person POV

Beacon

"Professor... Oobleck?" Weiss asked hesitantly, still not believing the horrifying sight before them.

"Yes, I'm afraid those bags won't be necessary, children," the professor said, pacing rapidly in front of them, "seeing as you've opted to shadow a Huntsman on what is now essentially a reconnaissance mission. I can assure you we will not be establishing a single base of operations. Rather, we will be traversing several miles of hazardous wasteland and making camp in any defendable locations we may stumble upon. I've packed all our essentials myself, plotted our course, and readied the airship. And it's Doctor Oobleck," he added, looking at Weiss. "I didn't earn the Ph.D. for fun, thank you very much."

"Is Weiss supposed to say 'you're welcome' or something like that?" Sincline asked, glancing at Yang, who snickered as Ruby shook her head, a small smile on her lips.

"Come now, children!" Oobleck said, raising a finger into the air. "According to my schedule we are already three minutes behind... schedule!" With that, he zoomed back to the airship.

Sincline blinked, staring after the departing professor. "Yeah... I'll just take one of my ships." He turned to walk off, but Yang grabbed him by the back of the jacket, stopping him cold. "...dang it."

"Come on, it'll be fun," Ruby said cheerfully. "We're gonna save the world with Doctor Oobleck..." She trailed off, rubbing the back of her head. "Okay, yeah, when you say it out loud, it sounds worse."

"It's worse thinking about it," Sincline said, shuddering. Don't—no! I thought about it again!

"Save the world?!" a familiar voice exclaimed.

Everyone turned and saw Team JNPR and Mercury walking toward them, the grey-haired teen with his hands in his pockets.

"You're going on world saving missions without us?!" Nora complained, placing a hand on her chest dramatically. "I'm hurt! Sad! Maybe a little hungry! That last one's not your fault, though... Ren."

Ren just huffed, looking away pointedly.

"And here I thought we were friends," Mercury complained, wiping away fake tears as he adopted an expression of sadness.

"If you can call us that," Yang countered.

"Well, what else can I call us?"

"Well—"

"Please, can we not go there?" Sincline asked, raising a hand hopefully.

"Sounds exciting," Jaune commented. "Where are you going?"

"Just outside the Kingdom," Ruby replied.

"Hey, so are we!" Nora said excitedly.

"Ren and Nora wanted to shadow the sheriff of a nearby village," Pyrrha explained, nodding toward her teammates.

"We set out tomorrow," Ren said.

"What about you?" Yang asked, turning to face Mercury. "Where's your team going?"

He shrugged. "They decided not to take a mission for a while and do their own things, meaning I'm stuck here alone." I'm not sure why Cinder insisted on reporting back to Her this early, but it's not like I have a say in anything, he thought silently.

"Aww, you gonna miss me?" Yang teased.

Mercury shrugged. "Maybe in another reality."

"I can check for you, if you want," Sincline offered.