Chapter 33: Grimm Reaper

3rd Person POV

Brunswick Farms

"Just like your friend, Ruby... I was a silver-eyed warrior," Maria explained, standing beside Sincline as the two of them watched the pile of shrouded bodies burn into ashes. After revealing that she had silver eyes, she had cut off Sincline's questions of surprise by insisting that they first pay respects to the Apathy's victims. Sincline had initially hesitated, having been caught up in the moment, but, upon remembering the body of that little girl, quickly agreed.

It had taken them most of the night, but they had eventually gathered all the bodies from their homes and laid them in a grave dug by Sincline via an Ion blast. After what seemed like hours, Sincline had emerged from the main house with the little girl in his arms.

Staring down at the girl's lifeless form, Sincline's jaw clenched... and he gently set her down, laying her to rest beside the already covered bodies of her parents. Removing her blanket, he laid it over her body and stepped back.

"This isn't right," Sincline whispered, staring at the covered bodies in muted horror. Now that the danger had passed, all he could do was stare at the field of corpses, their bodies covered in the blankets they slept in.

"It's not," Maria agreed, sighing. "But... this is all we can do for them now."

Nodding, Sincline turned his attention back to the field of bodies and extended a hand, targeting the shroud of each corpse. He fired, and dozens of low-powered Ion beams passed over the bodies, the chilling heat of the beams lighting the shrouds on fire.

And now here they stood, watching as the numerous bodies of men, women, and children were consumed by the blaze.

"Silver-eyed warrior?" Sincline echoed, and his thoughts turned to a familiar pair of shining silver eyes that he knew and loved. Ruby... what does Ruby have to do with all this?

"We're not as popular as we used to be," Maria admitted. "To put it simply, we're a lineage group whose origins predate the establishment of both Huntsmen and Kingdoms. According to legend, those born with silver eyes are destined to lead the life of a warrior."

"I see..." That would explain why Ruby keeps getting into danger, Sincline realized and silently resolved that if Ruby was to live that life, he'd stand by her every step of the way.

Maria chuckled. "Well, I'm glad one of us can."

Sincline blanched. "Sorry—"

Maria waved a hand, stifling a laugh as she did so, but it was hollow. "Relax. I can still see to my heart's content. Although, with this generation, that's not always a good thing." She trailed off, her expression darkening.

Sincline hesitated. "If you don't mind me asking... you said you were a silver-eyed warrior. What do you mean?" Obviously, her eyes were damaged... but I doubt it was by accident. Not with Aura.

Maria paused, as if weighing her options. "Tell me, Sincline... since your arrival on Remnant, how many people have you seen with silver eyes?"

Sincline blinked, caught off guard by the question, but answered anyway. "If you count photos... two." Ruby and Summer... now that I think about it, why haven't I seen any other eyes like theirs?

"Let me guess: Ruby and a photo of her mother?" Maria asked knowingly, causing Sincline to stare at her in shock.

"How did you—?"