Chapter 37: Legends Never Die

3rd Person POV

Argus Base, Several Minutes Earlier 

"Is that... is that Sincline?" one of the Atlesian officers asked, watching the scene before them in awe as the mech-turned-human delivered a brutal haymaker to the Leviathan's jaw, the force of the blow sending its head crashing into the sea.

"So it would seem," Ironwood murmured. I know Sincline mentioned an original form, but this.... idly, the General wondered just how powerful Sincline really was. It's a good thing I decided against antagonizing him, he thought as Sincline drew his scimitars and attacked the Leviathan, the wicked blades splitting through the enormous Grimm's seemingly invincible hide like it was paper. If Sincline ever turned his power on Atlas.... Ozpin... I hope you know what you're doing, he thought, watching as Sincline moved with an impossible level of speed given his size.

Shaking his head to clear his thoughts, Ironwood turned his attention back to the task at hand. "Order all Mantas to resume fire on the remaining Grimm," he ordered. "I want this city cleared like a plate, understood?"

"Sir!" At his command, the officers quickly carried out his orders.

"What is the status of the Colossus?" Ironwood asked, turning his attention to the officer he had assigned to keep an eye on Cordovin's 'secret' mech. "Can any parts be salvaged?" It wasn't likely, but there was a slim chance that the arm that the Leviathan had severed and its payload might be intact.

She shook her head. "It's been completely destroyed, sir," she answered. "The severed arm was caught in the crossfire by one of the Leviathan's beams."

"I see... and communications?" he asked, turning to the officer who reported the problem. Losing communications just as the Grimm attacked and before we could test our Particle Barrier... I don't believe in coincidences.

"Still down," the officer reported, checking the signals once more. "All scrolls in the area are inoperable, but our internal communications remain functional... barely."

At that, Ironwood frowned. That doesn't make sense... if the Grimm hit the tower, our backup systems should have rebooted all communications, he thought. And if someone wished to cripple our defenses, they would have taken out all our systems... but that would have let us know someone that was attacking. Maybe it was just a coincidence... but years in the field told him it was enemy action.

"Sir!" an officer shouted, drawing his attention. "Sincline's moving!"

All eyes turned to the main screen just as Sincline's slitted eyes flashed, and the mech-turned-human whipped around. His thrusters flared, and he burst forward, a shockwave ripping through the sky as he shot toward the city.

"Where's he going?" Ironwood wondered. Is he going to help the Mantas finish the Grimm? No, that wasn't it. Something about his sudden reaction... Ironwood knew that something had gone wrong.

The intercom crackled, and a familiar voice shot through the comm system. "Sir, it's Harriet!" the special operative shouted, and Ironwood was surprised to hear a shaky tone in her voice. Harriet was never shaken. Ever.

"Harriet, what's wrong?" Ironwood asked.

For a moment, there was silence... and then Marrow's voice took over. "It's Vine and Elm," he reported, his voice carrying the same instability that Harriet's had. "They're... they're dead."

With Sincline

"It's Maria. We were attacked and she's... she's hurt. Bad."