Chapter 50: Maidens and Entities

3rd Person POV

Ozpin's Office

"And you're sure you don't know what that thing was?" Ironwood asked, arms crossed as he, Ozpin, and Qrow faced Sincline, who was leaning against a column opposite them.

Sincline nodded. After he and the rest of his team had returned to their dorm following the arena incident, he had been called up to Ozpin's office to talk about that... creature. "I'm sure... at least, mostly sure."

"Mostly?" Ozpin asked, raising an eyebrow as his eyes narrowed.

Sincline nodded, his expression never changing. "I don't know what it is, but I... I remember a similar creature in Honerva's possession. She..." He closed his eyes, trying to remember what he could. "She drew on it for power, if I remember right. And when she needed more, she... she summoned them using a similar ritual she used to bring me back. I think... I think that creature is from the Quintessence Field." Or it was traveling through it at the time... but from where?

"I had some of my scientists examine what 'Quintessence' fell on the floor when you struck Aspen," Ironwood said, tapping his leg thoughtfully as he recalled the reports. "It's more powerful than anything we've seen... but it's unstable. While the power we could get from it would be tremendous... I don't think the risk is worth it."

Qrow snorted. "Whaddya know? You actually said something sensible," he taunted.

"I'm all about protecting the people, Qrow," Ironwood stated, shooting the veteran Huntsman a glare. "But even I will not risk exposing them to something we know so little about. No offense," he added, glancing at Sincline, who shrugged, waving a hand in an 'it's alright' gesture.

"In conclusion, we can all agree that Miss Aspen was not in control of her actions, correct?" Ozpin asked, earning nods from Sincline, Qrow, and Ironwood.

"I'll announce that she was under the influence of a semblance," Ironwood offered, "and clear her name while we can. The poor girl has enough to deal with. Let her recover without the added stress."

Sincline nodded. "I'll dispose of the Quintessence after we're done." All he had to do was use a rift, and that should take care of it. If anyone else tried to dispose of it... well, he didn't want to think about what could happen.

Ironwood nodded. "That's probably for the best."

"Just a minute," Ozpin said, causing both to stop midstride toward the elevator and turn to face him. "There is something else we must discuss."

Picking up a familiar Aura signature (he had been working on using his Aura and his sensors simultaneously to differentiate them) Sincline's eyes narrowed, and he whirled around just as a familiar green-eyed spartan stepped through the elevator doors.

Upon seeing the Trans-reality mech, Pyrrha's eyes widened. "Sincline?" she asked in surprise. "What are you doing here?"

"Apparently, same as you," Sincline answered carefully, his gaze flicking to Ozpin as his eyes narrowed. Alright, what game are you playing now, Oz? he wondered. He was getting the same feeling as the last time he was here when Ozpin had attempted to manipulate him into giving him Galran technology... and he didn't like it.

"Please, have a seat, you two," Ozpin invited, gesturing to a pair of chairs in front of his desk. Neither of these children will be easy, the grey-haired man thought. I will have to be very careful.