Chapter 39: Fallout

3rd Person POV

Argus Base

"You heard it right, Cyril," a pale-skinned woman with gold-brownish eyes and white hair with purple hues reported as Sincline, Ironwood, Saphron, and the remaining Ace Ops watched the main screen of the control room. "Late last night, at exactly twelve o'clock, Schnee Manor was assaulted. The exact details are currently unknown, but Jacque Schnee, head of the SDC, was found dead in his dining room. His wife, Willow Schnee, and their son, Whitely Schnee, have been reported missing. According to the staff, the Ace Ops and what seemed to be an experimental Atlesian fighter were sighted at the beginning of the assault. Atlas is yet to confirm or deny any involvement. Now, onto the White Fang—"

Ironwood pressed a button, and the screen turned off, leaving the room in silence. I'm not sure what surprises me more, he thought. The fact that they pulled it off... or that we're getting semi-accurate press for once. But now that it was done...

"Well, it didn't take long for the sharks to smell blood," Marrow commented, resting his elbows on the back of one of the command chairs. In all honesty, he was still trying to come to terms with the fact that Jacque Schnee, arguably the most powerful source of Faunus discrimination in the world, was finally gone. If this doesn't make Sincline the White Fang's best friend, I don't know what will, the canine Faunus thought in amusement. Either way, Jacque's death would go a long way toward mending human and Faunus relations.

"At least they're not against u—" Harriet started, only for Sincline to clap a hand over her mouth, cutting her off.

"Don't jinx it!" he yelped, recalling the ominous warnings Yang had given him. "If you do, the universe will make it happen!" And not in a good way, he thought, shivering as he remembered several examples Yang and Blake had given him.

For a long moment, all three Ace Ops, Ironwood, and Saphron stared at Sincline in bewilderment... and that's when they remembered that he wasn't from Remnant, no matter how normal he seemed at times.

"Don't worry," Clover assured, fighting back a snicker at the death glare Harriet was giving him and Marrow. "My semblance is good fortune. We'll be alright."

Sincline blinked, tilting his head... and ignoring the strange wet feeling on his palm. "Good fortune?" he asked, missing the incredulous look in Harriet's eyes.

"It's a passive semblance," Clover explained. "It allows me to manipulate probability positively. Unfortunately, it only gives me good luck, so...." He trailed off, but they all knew what he was thinking.

"I guess we all got the benefit of your semblance this time around," Marrow commented, Sincline nodding in agreement... and that's when the mech-turned-human felt a tap on his shoulder.

Blinking in surprise, he turned back to Harriet... who had her hands on her hips and was tapping her foot impatiently. As soon as she had his attention, she pointed at her mouth... which was still covered by Sincline's hand.

"Oh... sorry," he apologized and quickly removed it.

Harriet glared at him for a long moment... then sighed. "It's fine... you can make it up to me with a spar later," she offered, punching her fists together and earning a sweatdrop from Ironwood, Clover, and Saphron.

Marrow just shook his head, a brief smile crossing his features. The others might not have noticed, but the canine Faunus knew Harriet had been far more distraught than she had let on over the last few days. It's nice to see her actually smile instead of faking it, he thought. You know? I think murdering Jacque Schnee was one of the best things we've ever done.