Chapter 28: Breach

3rd Person POV

Tunnels

Dashing after the train and summoning his armor, Sincline grabbed Accalia and activated his thrusters. A shockwave, and he burst after the train, its metal roof creaking beneath his feet as he landed on top. As Accalia jumped down from his arms, Sincline turned as Ruby used her scythe to propel herself to the top of the train as well. But when she landed, her foot slipped, and she teetered backward, waving her arms wildly. "I got you!" Grabbing her by the arm, Sincline pulled her away from the edge.

"Thanks," Ruby said, giving him a grateful smile as Yang propelled herself to the top of the train with her gauntlets, and Weiss used her glyphs to carry her, Blake, and Oobleck up next to them.

"Hurry, children!" Oobleck shouted over the noise of the train's movement. "We must get to the front and stop this train!"

"Uhh... Professor?" Weiss asked, pulling up a panel and staring at the contents inside, terror creeping down her spine.

"Doctor," Oobleck corrected, practically teleporting beside her.

"What's that?" Her voice trembling, Weiss pointed at something lodged in the top of the train, an ominous clicking sound filling the air.

Kneeling beside Weiss, Sincline scanned the cylindrical item, and his eyes widened in horror. Oh Quiznak.

"That, my dear, appears to be a bomb," Oobleck said, confirming Sincline's suspicions as everyone else backed up, staring at the bomb in shock.

Multiple signatures suddenly flared up on Sincline's sensors, and Ruby's eyes widened. "We've got baddies!" she warned, hefting her scythe as dozens of White Fang climbed to the top of the train car several cars down.

"Well, I didn't expect them to go..." Oobleck trailed off as the bomb lit up and started beeping. "...easy on us."

"Time to go!" Sincline shouted, and everyone darted for the next train car, Sincline flying overhead and carrying Zwei and Accalia while the others raced beneath him.

"Blake, detach the caboose!" Oobleck shouted as they dashed toward the next car. "It will kill us all!"

"On it!" As everyone jumped to the next train car, Blake swung down between the cars and raised her sword to strike, only for the car to unlatch itself. "Huh?" Turning, she shouted up, "It decoupled itself!"

"What?" Oobleck asked, leaning over the edge to look at her, surprise evident in his voice.

"I guess he really doesn't want us on this train," Yang joked, but it fell flat, only serving to unsettle everyone even more.

Sincline's eyes narrowed. Why would Roman only store a bomb in the back? If we got on somewhere else, then that would have been useless. Unless... "Oobleck, you said that Grimm attacked the city, right?" he asked urgently, whirling to face the doctor.

"Yes, why?"

"Were they subterranean Grimm?"

The cart that had fallen behind exploded, shattering a large portion of the tunnel and opening a gaping hole in the side.

"That's not good," Oobleck muttered.

"Uhh, neither is this!" Everyone looked over to where Weiss and Ruby had pulled up another panel.

"Another bomb?" Blake exclaimed in shock as she climbed up to the top of the train, her eyes widening as she beheld the deadly device.

"No, no, no..." Oobleck muttered as he dashed to the next train car, checking each one. "They all have bombs!" he shouted.