Chapter 26: Search and Destroy: Part 2

3rd Person POV

Mountain Glenn

Spinning and slashing through a pair of Beowolves with his scimitars, Sincline whipped around, slamming another Beowolf through the skull with his tail. As the Grimm's corpses fell around him, he turned... and found Oobleck examining a group of plants.

"Excellent work," the professor enthused as Sincline and the girls finished off yet another group of Beowolves. "Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any sign of criminal operations in this sector. Oh well! Moving on."

As Ruby transformed her scythe back into carrying mode, Yang commented. "Hey Doc, you know, I was actually looking forward to seeing a pro Huntsman in action."

"Me too," Sincline agreed, his armor dissolving. "I kinda wanted to see how an 'official' Huntsman fights... or at least helps us fight," he muttered.

"Ah, but I am in action!" Oobleck replied, having not heard the second part of what Sincline had said. "I'm scouring the ruins of this once great city for any signs of irregularity! Not every mission is filled with daring and heroism. Sometimes it's just a heightened form of extermination. Remember, this is a job... and you all signed up for it. I do hope you understand that."

"I do, and I'm starting to somewhat regret it," Sincline whispered, leaning toward Ruby and earning a giggle from the young Huntress.

Timeskip

"Remind me why we thought this was a good idea?" Sincline requested, slashing through another Beowolf, his scimitars flashing as Ruby fought beside him.

"Oobleck said that splitting up would help us take out more Grimm," Ruby reminded, stabbing a Beowolf through the skull with the butt of her scythe before pulling the trigger, the recoil sending her into a spin that decapitated another Beowolf while Zwei watched the carnage from a doorway. "And besides, at least we get to hang out a bit," she added, flashing him a smile. "Just the two of us."

Zwei barked.

"And Zwei," Ruby amended, jumping over Sincline and swinging her scythe, splitting a Beowolf from shoulder to hip as Sincline spun under her, cutting down a pair of Beowolves with his scimitars and slamming a third through a wall with his tail.

A Deathstalker charged toward them from down the street, pincers snapping, and Sincline turned to face it. A sphere of purple energy expanded over his palm, and he sent a brilliant Ion blast streaking toward the Deathstalker.

A flash of light, and a thunderous explosion shook the city as the beam vaporized the Deathstalker, tearing a trench through the street

"That should be the last of them," Sincline said, dispersing his scimitars as Ruby folded her scythe, sheathing it on her back. Before they could move on, they heard the sound of paws pattering on stones.