Chapter 5. Back to school. ⚒️

"I will tell him about it tonight"

I left Sullivan's room and arrived in another one. It was the living room. There was a happy blue flame eating to his hearts content. I watched the boy ravage his food, knowing I would ruin his day. Had I only given him more to eat, that way I would have more time to prepare my words.

The little blue flame had now consumed all the food on the table, his eyes filled with joy and the sweetest smile on his face.

Thanks for the dinner, Opera! It was the best one yet! He said cheerfully.

Seeing him smile so softly made my chest ace. I would ruin that smile of his. That smile that has been trough so much already. That smile that had been faked about a hundred times. That smile that had almost vanished. That smile we fixed just a while ago.

In the human world it wasn't pretty for him. He had to work day and night doing errands he didn't enjoy.

When he came here for the first time, he was very pale and so extremely thin, I thought I was looking at a skeleton. I thought his body would break with a single touch, just crumble to the ground, lifeless.

His clothes were ragged showing the scars that were all over his body. Black and blue bruises, cuts and what I think are whiplashes. He was so very small. He looked like he was eight, but he wasn't, he was 14. In reality his body just stopped growing. He should have grown much taller by then, but he was too malnourished.

Even demons can feel bad. Its rare but it does happen. Sullivan coulden't stand to look at him, and so he took him in. One night, just one and Iruma's life turned around completely.

If we send him back, who knows what will happen? I can't send him back, so if I want to make sure that he stays here safely, Im going to have to tell him this.

"Iruma, we have to talk."

My voice sounded very unstable for some reason, much more then I thought it would be. Iruma looked up.

"Thats alright, I already think I know what it is about." He smiled at me and yet again it hurt. The pain in my chest hurt a lot more then before.

I stood up. "Cmon, lets sit on the couch." I led him to a spot to the right of the couch, the corner. Its his favorite spot. He sat down there while I sat down at the left side.

Oh god what am I going to do now? Calm down Opera, if you look even a little worried hes going to be terrified.

"Are you okay?"

I nodded. I took a deep breath and started explaining.

This is about the demands. The first demand is that you meet at the east end of the Babelys tower at 1pm. I don't know exactly what will happen. The letter said that you would get the instructions once you arrive there.

He looked at me, not with fear, but with a smile. "Thats a lot less bad then what I expected. I thought I would be giving them my blood or my soul. You don't have to get so worried about me all the time, I will be fine, I promise."

I couldn't help but sigh. "Iruma, this can be a lot more dangerous than you think it will be. He could kidnap you or he could kill you or.." He cut off my words.

"I know he won't. I know Kiriwo pretty well and I know he won't just straight up kill me. He is more like a cat. Playing with his mouse untill he has enough. Theres something wrong with him. Very very wrong, but I think he just needs a hug and someone to talk to. Sure hes crazy, but he still saved my life when I was about to fall off the roof. Ill just make him like me. He won't be able to hurt me so easily after that right?"