Chapter 4: Remembrances

Flashback of the night before Bucky left

"Stevie, what happened?" I ask as he and my husband enter the house.

"He got into another fight. Are you coming out with us, Doll?"

"No, sorry, James. I have to help at the enlistment office tonight. We're trying to find a couple more candidates for my project, but I'll come home just as soon as I can. Now, I have to go. I love you, my husband, and, Steve, try to have fun."

"Yes, ma'am."

"I love you too, Doll."

"Hey, Doc!" I say to him as I walk out of the house.

"You really think it should be your brother?"

"I guess we'll find out tonight, won't we?"

We go to the offices near the Stark Expo and get through a few candidates until we hear an argument around the corner.

"Come on, Steve. You're kinda missing the point of celebrating my last night."

"You go ahead, I'll catch up with you. Maybe even find Ady and bring her with me."

"You're really gonna do this again?"

"It's a fair I'm gonna try my luck."

"As who? Steve from Ohio? They'll catch you, or worse they'll actually take you."

"I know you don't think I can do this."

"This isn't a back alley, Steve, this is war."

"I know it's a war."

"What-why are you so keen to fight? There are so many important jobs—"

"So what do you want me to do? Collect scrap metal—"

"Yes—"

"In my little red wagon—"

"Why not?"

"I'm not gonna sit in a factory, Bucky—"

"I don't—"

"Bucky, come on. There are men laying down their lives. I got no right to do any less than them. That's what you don't understand. This isn't about me."

"Right. Cause you got nothing to prove. Look, I'll see you at the bar," Bucky says before he walks away. I turn to Dr. Erskine.

"So, what do you think?"

"I agree with you. He's a good choice, and I believe he is the right man for the job."

"You wanna talk to him, or should I?"

"Why not both of us?"

"Your call, Doc. Nurse Bridges, tell Dr. Kurt that we need to see him please. Sergeant Cullen, if you could wait in that room for us once the doctor leaves."

"Ma'am, yes ma'am."

"Thanks. Dr. Kurt, always a pleasure. Dr. Erskine and I will take over from here."

"Of course, Dr. Rogers."

"It's Dr. Barnes now, actually."

"Oh, congratulations."

"Thanks, Ben. Doc, you ready?"

"Let's do this. Thank you, Cullen."

"Ady?" Steve questions.

"So, you want to go overseas. Kill some Nazis," Erskine begins.

"Adelaide, what's this about?" Steve tries again.

"Doctor Abraham Erskine. I represent the Strategic Scientific Reserve. Of course, you know Dr. Barnes, but she wanted me to be the one to talk to you."

I snicker a little at that.

"Steve Rogers, but I'm sure you knew that. Where are you from?"

"Queens. 73rd Street and Utopia Parkway. Before that, Germany. This troubles you?"

"No."

"Where are you from, Mr. Rogers? Hmm? Is it New Haven? Or Paramus? Five exams in five different cities."

"That might not be the right file."

"Really, Steve? You're really gonna try to pull that with us?" I butt in.

"But no, it's not the exams we are interested in. It's the five tries. But you didn't answer the question. Do you want to kill the Nazis?"

"Is this a test?"

"Just answer the damn question, Steven."

"Ady, you know that I don't want to kill anyone. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from."

"Well, honey, there are already so many big men fighting this war. Maybe what we need now is a little guy, huh?"

"We can offer you a chance," Erskine says. "Only a chance."

"I'll take it."

"Good," I say, "I'd be embarrassed if you didn't."

"Hmm. Now, where is the little guy from? Actually?"

"Brooklyn."

"Congratulations, soldier," Erskine says before walking away.

"Steve! I'm so happy for you! Now, come on. Let's go meet Bucky, but don't you dare tell him about this."

"Sure, Ady, and thanks. I'm sure you had some major part in this."

"Yeah, well hearing your argument with Buck and the answers you gave is what convinced him, and that had nothing to do with me."

"Really? Ady, come on."

"What?"

"You practically raised me. I mean really, if it weren't for you, I probably wouldn't even be alive; but even before Mom died you were always the one that would take care of me when I was sick or stand in Dad's way to protect me when he would come home drunk. You were a better parent figure to me than they ever were."

"Oh, Stevie——I love you so—so much."

"I love you too, Ady. Now let's go find Bucky."

We find him a few minutes later.

"Hey, Sarge!"

"Doll! Hey, Steve, look. I'm sorry for earlier."

"It's fine, Buck. I get it. You just want me safe. I know Ady appreciates it."

"I do, but, Bucky, you need to realize that Steve and I are stubborn, and, if he wants to join, nothing will stop him."

"Understood. Now, let's go home, Doll."

"Sure. We'll see you at home, Stevie."

"Yeah, and you," Bucky turns to Steve, "don't do anything stupid until I get back."

"How can I? You're taking all the stupid with you."

"You're a punk."

"Jerk," they hug. "Be careful. Don't win the war till I get there."

Bucky salutes and we walk out.