Chapter 13: The Return

"Senator Brandt, I regret to report that Captain Steven G. Rogers went missing behind enemy lines on the third of last week," Phillips dictates to a corporal. "Aerial reconnaissance has proven unfruitful. As a result, I must declare Captain Rogers killed in action." The corporal stops typing as Peggy walks in.

"The last surveillance flight is back. There is—no sign of activity."

"Corporal. Why don't you get a cup of coffee? I can't touch Stark. He's rich, and the Army's number one weapons contractor. But you are neither one."

"With respect, sir, I don't regret my actions. And I don't think Captain Rogers did, either."

"What makes you think I give a damn about your opinions? I took a chance with you, Agent Carter. If it weren't for Adelaide Barnes, you probably wouldn't have gotten that much even. And now America's golden boy and a lot of other good men are dead, because you had a friend."

"It wasn't that. I had faith."

"Well, I hope that's a great comfort to you when they shut this division down. Now—what the hell is going on out there?"

Phillips and Peggy follow the group of soldiers heading to the camp entrance. They separate to reveal Steve, Bucky, and me leading the squad of POW's.

"Adelaide!" Peggy shouts, running to hug me. "We thought you were—"

"I know. It had to be that way. It is so good to see you, Peggy."

Phillips clears his throat behind them.

"Colonel, I helped most of them, but I'd like them all to be checked over."

He nods, and several medical personnel rush over.

"I'd like to surrender myself for disciplinary action," Steve says.

"I'm sure that won't be necessary. Right, Colonel?" I assert.

"Yes, ma'am," Phillips gulps. "Faith, huh?" he says to Peggy.

"You're late," she says to Steve.

"Sorry, couldn't call my ride," he replies holding up his broken transponder.

"Hey, let's hear it for Captain America!" Bucky shouts.

Everyone hurrahs in excitement.