Chapter 6: Relocation

"Honey? I'm home!"

"Hey, Doll."

"I need to take Edward to Clint's. He'll be safe there, and I have a bad feeling."

"I trust you, Doll."

"Thanks, Buck. I'll be back."

I teleport to the farm and walk to the back.

"Hey, Gran."

"Hi, sweetie. Can you watch your uncle for me for a while?"

"Of course, Gran. Stay safe, please. If you need him—"

"Are you sure?"

"I trust you."

"Good to know. I should get back."

"Say hi to Gramps for me."

"Will do."

Two days later

Bucharest, Romania

"Bună, cât de mult?" (Hi, how much)

"Trei lei." (Three Romanian money)

"Vom lua două duzini. Mulţumesc." (We'll take two dozen. Thanks!)

We walk across the street as a guy reading the paper runs off. The paper shows me bombing the UN with Bucky. We both know it isn't true. We head back to the apartment. I see Steve standing inside and know I'm done for. We walk in, Bucky slightly ahead of me so Steve still won't be able to see me. I'm able to just barely make out Sam's voice from Steve's comm.

"Understood." He turns around sensing Bucky. "Do you know me?"

Play it safe, Buck.

"You're Steve. I read about you in a museum."

"I know you're nervous, and you have plenty of reason to be. But you're lying."

"Stevie, we weren't in Vienna," I say stepping out from behind my husband. "You know we don't do that anymore."

"Liz, you and I are going to have a long conversation about secrets later."

"Liz?" I ask.

"I don't want to believe that Ady wouldn't tell me—You were keeping—Sorry."

"It's okay."

"Well, the people who think you did are coming here now. And they're not planning on taking you alive."

"That's smart."

"Good strategy."

I transform my clothes into my suit, and Bucky removes his glove.

"This doesn't have to end in a fight, Barnes."

"Don't you know, Stevie—"

"It always ends in a fight."

"You guys pulled me from the river. Why?"

"I don't know," Bucky says.

"Yes, you do."

"Stevie!" I yell blocking the grenades that come into the room. Bucky and I jump from roof to roof as we avoid the police and the Black Panther. T'Challa never once tries to attack me as Ramonda would kill him, but he doesn't stop trying to get Bucky. We grab a motorcycle and almost make it, but T'Challa grabs our wheel, and Rhodey has his guns pointed at the five of us. Bucky and I are forcefully shoved to the ground. I scream in pain as blood begins to flow from between my thighs. My eyes begin to water, but my face remains emotionless. The two of us are placed in individual glass cells, but Bucky is released from the cage once we get to the local headquarters. He has been placed in a chair behind me facing the wall. He is somehow unconscious. A psychiatrist comes in, and I immediately feel off. Something isn't right.

"Hello, Mrs. Barnes. I've been sent by the United Nations to evaluate you."

Sokovian I think to myself. Lost someone.

"Do you mind if I sit?"

Please, do. The more you talk the more I can find out.

"Your name is Grace?"

He wants to tear us apart. Future—Oh, shit.

"I'm not here to judge you. I just want to ask you a few questions."

No—not that question. Please, God—Don't let him.

"Do you know where you are, Grace? I can't help you if you don't talk, Grace."

"My name is Lady."

"Tell me, Lady. You've seen a great deal, haven't you?"

"I don't wanna talk about it."

It's bad enough that I probably just lost the babies that I was carrying for my brother and his wife.

"You fear that if you open your mouth, the horrors might never stop."

And no one even acknowledged that I did. Should I pay attention to him?

"Don't worry. We only have to talk about one."

Nah. I'm about to lose it anyway. Why pay attention? I'm sorry, in advance, James, Darling.

The power goes out, and he starts talking to me.

"What the hell is this?" I hear Bucky ask.

Shoulda stayed asleep, hon.

Why?

"Why don't we discuss your home, Lady? Not Romania. Certainly not Brooklyn, no. I mean your real home." He pulls out the red book.

Oh, don't worry, Doll. It won't work on me.

You Idiot! Do you actually think he is about to try using it on you? No, dipshit. He'll use it on me then have me activate you. I already apologized, by the way. Bye!

"Тоска, Выкидыш, Двадцать девять, Полночь, Близнецы, Десять, Альпийская, Зима, Семь, Смерть. Мадам Вайпер?" (Longing, Miscarriage, Twenty-nine, Midnight, Twins, Ten, Alpine, Winter, Seven, Death. Madame Summer?)

"Я готов отвечать." (Ready to comply)

"Активируйте Зиму, а затем вернитесь." (Activate Winter, and come back)

"Готово, сэр." (Done, sir)

"Солдат?" (Soldat)

"Я готов отвечать." (Ready to comply)

"Mission report.December 16, 1991."