Chapter 2: Alexander Pierce

He leaves, and I track his movement and pick up the security cameras of the Smithsonian where Steve went to look at his new exhibit. I have a few honorable mentions, as well as a video. They interviewed me in 1953 about what I went through after the deaths of my husband and brother. (I do have my own exhibit in the museum) Steve then goes to visit Peggy, and she tells him to move on and go out with Nat. I chuckle. She then goes into a coughing fit and has the whole realization all over again. I wait a bit.

"Secure office." I put in the hard drive Natasha had given me. "Open Lemurian Star's satellite launch file."

Access denied.

"Run decryption."

Decryption failed.

"Director override. Jones, Elizabeth A."

Override denied. All files sealed.

"On whose authority?"

Jones, Elizabeth A.

"World Security Council," I say to the elevator.

Confirmed.

"If Liza Jones thinks she can get her costumed thugs and STRIKE commandos to mop up her mess, she's sadly mistaken. This failure is unacceptable."

"Considering this attack took place one mile from my country's sovereign waters, it's a bit more than that. I move for immediate hearing."

"We don't need hearings, we need action. It's this Council's duty to oversee SHIELD."

"A breach like this raises serious questions."

"Like how the hell did a French pirate manage to hijack a covert SHIELD vessel in broad daylight?"

"For the record, Councilman, he's Algerian. I can draw a map if it'd help."

"I appreciate your wit, Secretary Pierce. But this Council takes things like international piracy fairly seriously."

"Really? I don't. I don't care about one boat; I care about the fleet. If this Council is going to fall to rancor every time someone pushes us on the playing field, maybe we need someone to oversee us."

"Mr. Secretary, nobody is suggesting—"

"Excuse me."

"More trouble, Mr. Secretary?"

"Depends on your definition—I work 40 floors away and it takes a hijacking for you to visit?"

"A nuclear war would do it, too. You busy in there?"

"Nothing some earmarks can't fix."

"I'm here to ask a favor. I want you to call for a vote. Project Insight has to be delayed."

"Liz, that's not a favor, that's a sub-committee hearing. A long one."

"It could be nothing. It probably is nothing. I just need time to make sure it's nothing."

"But if it's something?"

"Then we'll both be damn glad those helicarriers aren't in the air."

"Fine. But you got to get Iron Man to stop by my niece's birthday party."

"Thanks, Pierce."

"And not just a flyby, Jones. He's got to mingle."

I walk away and quickly call Tony to let him know that I need him to stop by a random kid's birthday party. He agrees after I tell him what is at stake.