Chapter 1: Steve is Alive

I hear my phone ringing and get out of bed to answer it.

"Jones speaking."

"Director, we have some news."

"Coulson, it's three in the morning, and you're supposed to be in New Mexico."

"Just a quick detour, but you'll be glad I did."

"Okay, okay. What is it?"

"Captain Rogers, ma'am."

"You're joking. That's not funny, Phil."

"Adelaide, your brother is alive. They found him."

"I'm on my way, but you're right back to New Mexico just as soon as I get there."

"Yes, ma'am."

"Jarvis, when Tony wakes up, tell him I had urgent business."

Activating Director Protocol

"Thanks, J."

I get to base and found Coulson, Fury, and Hill.

"So, it's really true?"

"Yes, ma'am," they confirm.

"Coulson, New Mexico. Hill, D.C. Fury, with me."

"Yes, ma'am."

We arrive outside the room where Steve is being defrosted.

"Your plan will fail, Nick. Well, I mean — he won't fall for it, but we don't have time to correct the errors at this point."

Steve is defrosted for another three hours. It is now 3:30 pm, and Steve should wake up any minute. I am watching the footage on the tablet in our car. Nick is seated next to me waiting for the signal. This is my failsafe since his plan has a few holes. The radio is playing a game from 1941 as Steve slowly opens his eyes. One of our agents walks in.

"Good morning. Or should I say afternoon?"

"Where am I?"

"You're in a recovery room in New York City."

"Where am I really?"

"I'm afraid I don't understand."

I side-eye Nick, and he just closes his eyes and groans (A/N: he has both eyes because everything that happened in Captain Marvel happened to Liz instead, okay? But it's only seen when she is in her director disguise.)

"The game." I begin to laugh like crazy, and Nick just sighs before I resume my calm exterior. "It's from May 1941. I know, because I was there with my sister. Now, I'm going to ask you again. Where am I?"

I see the agent press the button, and it's my turn to sigh.

"Captain Rogers—"

"Who are you?" He knocks down the two members of the STRIKE team and makes a run for it. Only stopping once he realizes how different NYC is. We pull up, and Nick steps out.

"Code 13! Code 13!" I hear the footage.

"At ease, soldier!" Nick says. "Look, I'm sorry about that little show back there, but we thought it best to break it to you slowly."

"Break what?"

"You've been asleep, Cap. For almost 70 years. You gonna be okay?"

"Yeah. Yeah, I just—I made a promise."

I finally step out of the car and walk toward them. Steve turns around.

"Who says you broke it?"

"Ad—Ady—Adelaide?!" Steve stutters out completely shocked.

"Hey, baby bro. Took you long enough."

"How—What—"

"Hey, let's get somewhere a little safer, yeah? A little more discreet?"

"Sure. You're married?" he asks, noticing my rings.

"A lot can happen in 67 years, ya know?"

"I bet."

"Fortunately for you, you have a patient guide to help you out. I'm sure my husband won't mind helping some as well."

"I can't wait to meet him. So, kids?"

"Well, I had twins shortly after your 'death,' Steven Anthony and James Buchanan Jr. Then, in 1993 I had Sarah Maria, 2000 was Peter Benjamin, and 2002 was Harley Edward."

"Wow. So, who was the lucky guy?"

"Genny!"

"Oh, shit. Anthony Edward, who authorized you to be here?"

"Um—"

"I did, ma'am."

"Nick? Why—"

"Better now than later."

"Fine. Tony, this is my little brother Steven Rogers. Stevie, this is my husband Anthony Stark."

"Captain."

"Stark."

They glare at each other before I can't take it any longer.

"Sit!" They both sit down and look at me. "Now, I'm sure you both have a million questions, but I don't have time right now. Fury, I'll let you explain. I'm needed in New Mexico for a few days." I leave, even though I know I probably shouldn't, but hopefully they can get along.