Chapter 1: Saving Loki

"Hear me and rejoice. You have had the privilege of being saved by the Great Titan. You may think this is suffering. No. It is salvation. Universal scales tip toward balance because of your sacrifice. Smile. For even in death, you have become Children of Thanos."

Loki, Bruce, and I stay hidden. I have the Tesseract.

"I know what it's like to lose. To feel so desperately that you're right—yet to fail, nonetheless." Thanos picks up Thor before continuing, "It's frightening. Turns the legs to jelly. But I ask you, to what end? Dread it, run from it—destiny arrives all the same. And now, it's here. Or should I say—I am."

"You talk too much."

"The Tesseract. Or your brother's head. I assume you have a preference."

"Oh, I do. Kill away. All right, stop!"

"We don't have the Tesseract. It was destroyed on Asgard."

"He's half-right," I say,emerging from the shadows. "They don't have the Tesseract. I do." I vanish andportal to Knowhere. I know that now I'm gone Thanos will lose interest in thosethree. I fall to my knees as I have a vision. Banner hurtling toward Earthwhile Loki and Thor's ship is blown up and the two brothers are floating inspace toward the Milano. God, I've missed the Guardians. The vision disappears,and I head to the place where I always meet Tivan. I know Thanos is going toget all the stones, and I'm not allowed to do anything about it, but I knew Icould save Loki. I give Tivan the stone.