Chapter 6: Back Home

Four Months Later

"Babe, are these our gojis?"

"They are not."

"What's wrong with ours?"

"Your alpaca ate them, Tones."

"Oh."

"All of them."

"What a glowing endorsement. First of all, Gerald is our alpaca."

"He's not my alpaca if he's eating my gojis."

"Okay. They're gonna be nice in the salad right there, right?"

"No, don't, don't, don't! Could you put it down? Get out of my kitchen!"

"Okay. Whoops!" He exclaims as he drops a plate.

"Ugh!"

"We're good here, right?"

"Yeah, we're great. Tell Madam Secretary that lunch is in five."

"I will collect our alpha female posthaste."

I finished making lunch, so I set the table. I hear a car pull up, so I grab extra plates. Tony and Morgan step up on the porch as Nat, Steve, and Scott walk up.

"Maguna, come inside, please. Help me with the drinks okay, baby?"

"Yes, mommy."

"Thank you, sweetheart."

Once she is done, I tell her to go clean herself up for lunch. I look out the window and watch the conversation. Morgan comes down a moment later.

"Go save daddy, princess."

"Yes, ma'am."

Tony comes back inside carrying Morgan, and the others leave. After lunch, Morgan goes outside to play again, and Tony tells me everything that got said earlier.

"Steve and Nat are willing to risk their kids for this?" I ask him.

"I—uh—yeah, I guess so."

We discuss it more later that night, and I am able to get a 99.987% success rate on our device.

"Shit!" Tony exclaims.

"Shit," we hear from the stairs.

"What are you doing up, little miss?" he asks Morgan.

"Shit."

"Nope. We don't say that. Only Mommy says that word. She coined it. It belongs to her."

"Why are you up?"

"Cause. I've got some important shit going on here! Why do you think? No, I got something on my mind. I got something on my mind."

"Was it juice pops?" Morgan asks as I walk past her on the stairs to resume my previous spot on the couch with my book. Tony walks into the room shortly after putting Morgan to bed.

"Not that it's a competition—but she loves me 3,000."

"Oh, does she, now?"

"You were somewhere in the low 6 to 900 range. Whatcha reading?"

"Just a book on composting."

"You sure? Looks like Bucky's 1940s journal."

"Well, maybe it is."

"You figured it out. By the way."

"Really? I hadn't noticed."

"Terrifying, right."

"We got pretty lucky."

"Yeah. I know. Nope. And we can't help everybody."

"Sorta seems like we can, Tones."

"Not if we stop. You can put a pin in it right now, and I'll stop."

"Tony—trying to get me to stop. That's one of a few failures of your entire life."

"Something tells me we should put it in a lockbox and drop it to the bottom of the lake—and go to bed."

"But would we be able to rest? Go tomorrow, okay. I'll be there once I can get Jen to watch all the kids."

Tony goes to bed, and Jen (our babysitter who coincidentally was portraying me) comesover.