Chapter 8: Last Goodbyes

They leave, and I drive us to the back lot of SI. I go to my office to talk to Tony.

"Babe?"

"In here, hon. Sarah, was just—"

"Sarah, Sweetheart, could you—"

"Sure, Mom."

"Tones, hey! Are you okay?"

"You found him?"

"Tony—"

"No, I understand. He needs you more than I do. Besides, I know you'll come back. When you're ready, of course. I love you."

"You're amazing, Tony. I love you, too, babe. So, so much, dear. I'm gonna see Clint before we leave for Europe tonight. Nat and the car are going to stay with him until further notice. I'll try to physically check in every time we move location, I'll call you regularly, I promise, and—"

"Honey, you're married to him. Of course, you can—"

"Are you sure? I mean, it's kind of weird, right?"

"I think it's fine."

"So, what—we've just got like, a triangle now?"

"Sounds about right."

"And it's even weirder since he—"

"My parents—yeah, it wasn't him though, because I mean you—but I mean—and you proved it to me."

"Yeah, yeah. I should—"

We kiss, and I find Sarah and we talk for a bit before I leave. I get back to the car, and Nat tells me she's ready to go. As we make the two-hour drive to Harrisburg International Airport, we talk about her and my brother as well as me, Tony, and Bucky. One of my private planes that fits a car is here to get us to Iowa. I pilot the plane on our four-and-a-half-hour flight from Harrisburg to Des Moines, and we have another two-hour drive once we get there. We finally get to Clint's house, and I tell Nat to let me go up first.

"Barton!" I call as I knock on the door.

"Director Jones?" Laura asks opening the door. "Please, come in."

"Where's Clint?"

"Just out back. Is this official business?"

"Not at all. I've got Nat out in the car. I'm gonna find Clint."

"Of course. It's good to see you, Gran."

"You too, sweetie."

Laura is Clint's wife. They've been married for several years and have two children Lila and Cooper. Laura is also my granddaughter, and one of the people who knows about my being Adelaide. Tony does know she exists, but he doesn't know that she married Clint. I walk outside to find my grandson-in-law. He is chopping up some wood. I use my powers to speed up the process.

"Liz! Hey!" he says about to hug me before he sees my serious expression. "Oh. Director Jones, you're here with a mission, ma'am?"

I burst into a smile and pull him in for hug. He chuckles before reciprocating.

"Damn, you always get me," he laughs.

"I do have one somewhat serious thing to tell you and the kiddos; but, no, I'm just here for me. I brought Nat, as well."

Clint smiles and walks with me to the house. Nat is inside chatting with Laura, and the kids are playing on the floor.

"I need to tell you guys something. I'm not just Elizabeth Jones, SHIELD Director, and Laura's 'sister.' I'm Adelaide Grace Rogers from the 1940s with Steve. Actually, Laura's grandma."

"What? So, you're Steve's sister?"

"Yes, Clint, I am. I'm sorry for not telling you sooner, but—"

"I understand, Liz—or, well—um..."

"Liz is fine still. So, I'm sure you guys know that Adelaide—er—I'm—married to James 'Bucky' Barnes."

"Right, but, Gran, you told me the story of how he died—"

"So, funny story—"

"He's a popsicle too!?"

"Clint!" I reproach.

"Sorry, sorry."

"Okay, well—I should get back. He and I are leaving for Europe tonight. Stay connected."

"Yes, ma'am. We love you!" they all say as I teleport back to Bucket.