Chapter 10: Game Over

"We have an unauthorized departure from Bay 6."

"They found him. Get our communications back up, whatever you have to do. I want eyes on everything."

"Yes, ma'am."

I see Tony, from our Tower security, talking to Loki. It looks like an interesting conversation. I quickly realize Tony's plan and simply hope the Mark 7 will actually work. Fortunately, it does and just in time, too. The portal opens, and the battle begins. I help as much as I can from here. Thankfully, the rest of the Avengers get to Tony and begin to help.

"Ma'am, the Council is on," Fury and Hill tell me.

I turn off my screens and walk to the call room.

"Director Jones, the Council has made a decision."

"I recognize the Council has made a decision. But given that it's a stupid-ass decision, I have elected to ignore it."

"Director, you're closer than any of our subs. You scramble that jet—"

"That is the island of Manhattan, Councilman. Until I'm certain my team can't hold it, I will not order a nuclear strike against a civilian population."

"If we don't hold them here, we lose everything."

"If I send that bird out, we already have," with that, I shut off the Council's call and focus back on the surveillance. I see Loki get beat up by Hulk after getting one of Clint's exploding arrows shot at him. Nat is talking to Dr. Selvig who figures out how to close the portal. Clint runs out of arrows, Hulk is surrounded, and Tony is down.

"Ma'am, we have a bird in motion. Anyone on the deck, we have a rogue bird," Hill shouts.

"We need to shut it down!" Fury yells.

I take off running to the deck.

"Repeat, takeoff is not authorized."

I get to the deck and shoot a grenade from the launcher to stop the nuke from taking off. But one I hadn't seen manages to clear the deck.

"Stark, do you hear me? I have a missile headed straight for the city. I'm going to take it out, but I need you to cover me."

"Yes, ma'am!" he shouts, and I teleport to the missile. I steer it toward the portal.

"I can close it. Can anybody copy?" Nat says. "I can shut the portal down."

"Do it!" Steve commands.

"No, wait!" I order.

"Director, these things are still coming."

"I got a nuke coming in. It's gonna blow in less than a minute, Rogers. And I know just where to put it."

"Genny, no!"

"It'll be okay, babe. Don't worry," I say knowing that I had just outted us.

"Ady, no! You know that's a one-way trip," and I realize he further outted me.

"Save the rest for the turn, J." I say to Jarvis in my suit.

Ma'am, shall I try Sarah?

"Might as well." I disable my coms once she doesn't answer and hope for the best. I get through the portal, and it feels so weird being in one that I didn't create and can't control. I think I may have passed out, but I start hearing voices. I jerk away to see Tony kissing me.

"Tones?"

"Oh, thank God, you're okay. Genny, never scare me like that again."

"Sure thing. Now, go get him. I'll see you back at base."

"Yes, ma'am!" they all say and tramp off to get Loki. I get back to base, and Hill and Fury grab me in a tight hug.

"Guys, what happened to not showing affection?"

"Shut up," Hill says.

"Don't do that to us again, please," Fury adds.

"I'll try not to, but you both know I can handle myself."

"Of course," they reply.