Chapter 6: New Year's Eve, 1999

Bern, Switzerland Tech Summit 2000

"Half hour till the ball drops," Happy says to us as we talk to Maya Hansen.

"Hey, do you wanna..."

"Liz and Tony Stark? Great speech, man!"

"I got you, pal," Happy says to us as he shoos the man.

"I gave a speech?"

"Yes, babe. You did."

"How was it?"

"Edifying," Happy says.

"Unintelligible," I add.

"Really?" he asks.

"Mmhmm," Maya and I hum in agreement.

"It's my favorite kind. A winning combo."

"Where are we going?" Maya asks.

"I am going to town with my wife, but we would like to see your research first."

"Okay, yeah. You can — see my research."

"Mr. Stark," someone says out of nowhere. "Ho Yinsen."

"Good. Honey, I finally met a man called 'Ho.'"

"You're terrible. I'm so sorry, Mr. Yinsen. It's a pleasure to meet you. He's a little . . . right now."

"I see. Well, thank you, Mrs. Stark. It's nice to meet you as well."

"Come here, Hap," Tony calls.

"I would like to introduce you to our guest, Dr. Wu."

"Oh, this guy. Hey!" Tony says.

"Mr. and Mrs. Stark," Dr. Wu greets us.

"You're a heart doctor. My wife's going to need a cardiologist after I—" he blows his party horn at my heart.

"I'm so sorry," I say as Tony leads me away.

"Bye," Maya drunkenly says.

"Perhaps another time?" Yinsen asks.

A guy comes toward us through the crowd.

"Mr. Stark! Oh, wow! Hey, Tony! Aldrich Killian. I'm a big fan of your work."

"My work?" Maya asks.

"Who isn't? He means Liz and me."

"Well, of course, but, Ms. Hansen, my organization's been tracking your research since year two of MIT."

"Yeah, we're full," Tony says as we get on the elevator. "Oh, wow, he made it. He made the cut."

"What floor you going to, pal?" Happy asks him.

"Well, now, that is an appropriate question. The ground floor, actually, of a proposal I'm putting together myself. It's a privately funded think tank called Advanced Idea Mechanics. Uh—"

"She and my wife will take them," Tony says as Aldrich pulled out two cards. "One to throw away and one to not call."

"Tony!" I say elbowing him in the side.

"'Advanced Idea Mechanics' or 'AIM,' for short. Do you get it?"

"I see that because it's on your T-shirt."

"Aw!"

"Ladies, follow the mullet. Ladies first," Tones says as we begin to exit the elevator.

"Thank you, I'll call you," Maya says.

"Yeah, I'll get something on our books," I say as I drag Tony to our room. "You have a good New Year's Eve, Mr. Killian."

"Thank you, Mrs. Stark, and Happy Anniversary!"

"Thanks!"

We then get to Maya's room, and she shows us her research. Tony and I pass out when we get to our room, and he forgot about that night by the time it was morning.