Chapter 5: Peggy's Funeral

London, two days later

I am untraditionally a pallbearer. Peggy had asked me a long time ago to do this as well as to deliver the eulogy at her funeral. Steve and Sam are sitting in a front pew.

"And now, I would like to invite Adelaide Rogers to come up and say a few words."

"Margaret Carter was known to most as a founder of SHIELD, but I just knew her as my best friend. We worked together before, during, and after World War II. We trained soldiers, fought against the Nazis, and advised each other in difficult times of our lives. One conversation we had about mastering diplomacy and espionage in a time when no one wanted to see a woman succeed at either, we agreed on this: compromise where you can, but where you can't—don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move, it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye, and say 'No, you move.'"

After the funeral, Nat comes up to me. Steve and Sam are waiting for me at a café nearby.

"When I came back from the dead, I thought everyone I had known was gone. Then I found her. I was just lucky to still be her friend."

"She had you back, too."

"Who else signed?"

"Tony, Rhodey, Vision."

"Clint?"

"Says he's retired."

"The twins?"

"TBD. I'm off to Vienna for the signing of the Accords. There's plenty of room on the jet."

"I'll keep your husband safe for you."

"I'll do the same then. Bye, Liz."

"I love you, Nat. Be safe."

"Yes, ma'am."

"Boys, I have to go. There's something I need to finish."

"Understood."