Chapter 2: Court

"Thanks for this, Nat. We've got a five-star hotel waiting for us. You'll get to pick your room. I'll be sharing with Tony."

"Yes, ma'am. I'll see you back in Malibu?"

"Yes, you'll stay tonight and return tomorrow."

"Of course. Goodnight—"

"Liz, please. We are friend you know. Especially when we aren't at SHIELD."

"Thanks, Liz. That means—"

"Don't say it until you're ready to accept that I really am your friend. I'll see you in a few days, Natasha."

Next morning @ 9:00 am.

"Mrs. Stark, could we pick up where we left off? Mr. Stark. Please. Mrs. Stark? Tony, please."

"Yes, dear?"

"Can I have your attention?"

"Absolutely."

"Do you or do you not possess a specialized weapon?"

"He does not," I answer.

"He—you do not?"

"You heard the lady, but it depends on how you define the word 'weapon.'"

"The Iron Man weapon."

"His—our device does not fit that description."

"Well—How would you describe it?"

"We would describe it by defining it as what it is, Senator."

"And what would that be, Mrs. Stark?"

"A high-tech prosthesis."

"That is—that is—that's actually the most apt description we can make of it."

"It's a weapon. It's a weapon, Mr. and Mrs. Stark."

"Please, if your priority was actually the well-being of the American citizen—" I start.

"My priority is to get the Iron Man weapon turned over to the people of the United States of America," Stern interrupts.

"Well, you can forget it. We are Iron Man. Liz, the suit, and I are one. To turn over the Iron Man suits would be to turn over ourselves, which is tantamount to indentured servitude or prostitution, depending on what state you're in."

"You can't have it," I finished for Tony.

"Look, I'm no expert—"

"In prostitution?" I sass back. "Of course, not. You're a senator. Come on."

"I'm no expert in weapons. We have somebody here who is an expert on weapons. I'd now like to call Justin Hammer, our current primary weapons contractor."

"What?" I hiss at Tony.

"Let the record reflect that we observed Mr. Hammer entering the chamber, and we are wondering if and when any actual expert will also be in attendance."

"Absolutely. I'm no expert. I defer to you, Anthony. Elizabeth, I mean, you two are the Wonder Couple. Senator, if I may. I may well not be an expert, but you know who was? Your dad. Howard Stark. Really a father to us all, and to the military-industrial age, along with Adelaide Barnes. But let's just be clear. Howard was no flower child. He was a lion. We all know why we're here. In the last six months, Anthony and Elizabeth Stark have created a sword with untold possibilities. And yet they insist it's a shield. They ask us to trust them as we cower behind it. I wish I were comforted, Anthony, I really do. I'd love to leave my door unlocked when I leave the house, but this ain't Canada. You know, we live in a world of grave threats, threats that the Starks will not always be able to foresee."