Chapter 3: I Will

T'Challa is taken to the ritual chamber and given the Hart-Shaped Herb. Shuri and I go to the lab. We begin preparations for the twins' arrival before eventually going to bed. In the morning, I get a notification on my kimoyo beads and head to the Elders' Council Room to give them an update.

"A misidentified Wakandan artifact was stolen yesterday from a British museum. We have learned Ulysses Klaue plans to sell the vibranium to an American buyer in South Korea tomorrow night."

"Klaue has escaped our pursuits for almost 30 years. Not capturing him is, perhaps, our father's greatest regret. I wish to bring Klaue back here to stand trial," T'Challa states.

"Wakanda does not need a warrior right now. We need a king," the Merchant Tribe leader rebukes.

"My parents were killed when he attacked. Not a day goes by when I do not think about what Klaue took from us. From me," W'Kabi tells us.

"It's too great an opportunity to pass," I say.

"Take me with you. We'll take him down together, side by side."

"I need you here protecting the border."

"Then I ask you kill him where he stands or you bring him back to us."

"You have my word. I will bring him back."

I will kill him.

"We will proceed with the mission."

I get back to the lab. T'Challa comes in a bit later with the Dora. Shuri and I get in position.

"My King," we bow slightly.

"Stop it. Stop it."

We do our sibling handshake before Shuri tells him some information.

"We've already sent a car ahead to Busan for you. Who are you taking?"

"Okoye, Isilumkile, and Nakia as well."

"Chall, are you sure it's a good idea to take your ex on a mission?"

"Yes. We'll be fine. Besides Shuri will be on call should we need backup."

"Yes! We have great things to show you, brother."

"Here are our communication devices for Korea. Unlimited range, also equipped with audio surveillance system," I explain.

"Check these out. Remote access Kimoyo Beads. Updated to interface directly with our sand table."

"Ah. And what are these?"

"The real question is—" Shuri starts.

"What are those?" we shout.

"Why do you have your toes out in our lab?"

"What, you don't like my royal sandals? I wanted to go old school for my first day."

"I bet the Elders loved that."

"I know I did."

"Try them on. Fully automated. Like the old American movie Baba used to watch."

"Mmm."

"And we made them completely sound absorbent."

"Interesting."

"Guess what we call them."

"Sneakers. Because you—Never mind."

"If you're going to take on Klaue, you'll need the best the design group has to offer. Exhibit A."

"Isi's suit?"

"Just go with it, Chall."

"And my design."

"Old tech," Shuri and I agree.

"Old?"

"Functional, but old. 'Hey, people are shooting at me. Wait, let me put on my helmet.'"

"Enough."

"Now, look at these. Isi's designs. Oh, not that one. It's her new suit. These two are your options."

"Do you like that one?" I ask.

"Tempting. But the idea is not to be noticed. This one."

"My favorite, too, Chall. Now—tell it to go on."

"Ooh!" Shuri exclaims.

"The entire suit sits within the teeth of the necklace. Strike it."

"Anywhere?"

"Mmm-hmm," I confirm.

"Not that hard, genius!"

"She told me to strike it. She didn't say how hard, Shuri."

"So, we finally invite you to our lab, and you just kick things around?" I ask.

"Well, maybe you should make it a little stronger. Hey. Wait a minute."

"The nanites absorb the kinetic energy and hold it in place for redistribution."

"Very nice."

"Strike it again in the same spot," I tell him.

"She's recording?"

"Chall, of course, she is. For research purposes because you know how I am."

"Very true."

Shuri laughs as he flies across the room.

"Delete that footage!"

"Nope, it's going in yourfile, Chall."