Chapter 7: Strategizing

(Third Person POV)

Steve and Sam run down to where Bucky and Lady were being kept. They find the "psychiatrist" before Winter and Summer attack. The two manage to get to a helicopter, but Steve stops them. Zemo escapes and heads to Siberia. Steve and Sam get Summer/Lady and Winter/Bucky to a secluded warehouse.

"Hey, Cap!" Sam calls out for him a few hours later.

"Steve?"

"Which Barnes am I talking to?"

"Grant. G, I love you, and I'm so sorry. Bucky? Buck, are you awake?" I use my powers to wake him up.

"Uh—your mom—her name was Sarah. You used to wear newspapers in your shoes."

"Can't read any of that in a museum."

"Just like that, we're supposed to be cool?"

"Stevie, what'd we do?"

"Enough."

"Oh, god, this wasn't supposed to happen. Bucky's words don't affect him anymore. That guy—he used my old words —I forgot they even existed— I'm the only one that can activate Winter. Bucky was supposed to be the only one beside myself that could activate Madame. One word is all it takes, but this guy? Knew every single one of my ORIGINAL words. Like from 1943—                if you don't mind, I need a few minutes. No one ever even—"

"The blood. Gracie?"

"Steven. I'm sorry. I know how long you and Nat have been looking for treatments. Well, they finally worked. Twins—if you'll excuse me."

"I should never have let her leave me."

"Bucky, who was he?"

"I don't know."

"People are dead. The bombing, the setup—the doctor did all that just to get ten minutes with you two. I need you to do better than 'I don't know.'"

"It's Ady's story to tell. Only if she wants, punk."

"It's okay, Buck. He wanted to know about Siberia. Where we were kept. He wanted to know exactly where."

"Why would he need to know that?"

"Because—we aren't the only Winter Soldiers."