Chapter 2: 36 Hours Earlier

Las Vegas

Narrator: Tony Stark. Visionary. Genius. American patriot. Even from an early age, the son of legendary weapons developer Howard Stark quickly stole the spotlight with his brilliant and unique mind. At age four, he built his first circuit board. At age six, his first engine. And at 17, he graduated summa cum laude from MIT. Then, the passing of a titan. Howard Stark's lifelong friend and ally, Obadiah Stane, steps in to help fill the gap left by the legendary founder, until, at age 21, the prodigal son returns with his wife Elizabeth to help as he is anointed the new CEOs of Stark Industries. With the keys to the kingdom, Tony and Liz usher in a new era to Tony's father's legacy, creating smarter weapons, advanced robotics, satellite targeting. Today, Tony and Lizzie have changed the face of the weapons industry by ensuring freedom and protecting America and her interests around the glove.

"As liaison to Stark Industries," Rhodey begins, "I've had the unique opportunity of serving with a couple of real patriots. They are my friends and my two greatest mentors. Ladies and gentlemen, it is my honor to present this year's Apogee Award to Mr. and Dr. Mrs. Tony and Lizzie Stark. Tony? Liz?"

"Thank you, Colonel," Obadiah says.

"Thanks for the save," Rhodes whispers.

"This is beautiful. Thank you. Thank you all very much. This is wonderful. Well, I'm not Tony or Lizzie Stark. But if I were either one of them, I would tell you how honored I feel, and what a joy it is to receive this very prestigious award. Tony, you know— The best thing about Tony is also the worst thing. He's always working. Liz as well. She keeps him in check."

Meanwhile, Tony and I are at the scraps table not having a care in the world as our fifteen-year-old is at home with Pepper. Happy has come with us, of course.

"Work it! Come on! Milady."

"Why thank you, kind sir."

We begin to walk out, and Rhodey catches up to us fairly quickly.

"You are unbelievable," he tells us.

"Oh no! Did they rope you into this?" Tony asks.

"E, I expected better from you at least."

"Well, no kids—more fun?" I shrug.

"But nobody roped me into anything!"

"I'm so sorry," Tony slurs.

"But they told me if I presented you guys with an award you'd be deeply honored."

"Oh, we are, Rhodes," I tell him.

"Of course. And it's you, that's great," Tony adds. "So, when do we do it?"

"It's right here."

"Oh shoot. We missed it, huh? Oh well," I sigh.

"This is where I exit. I'll see you tomorrow, Tony. Liz, please make sure he isn't late."

"We'll see," I joke.

"I'm serious, you guys."

"We know."

"We know," Tony echoes. "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's. There you go."

"Happy?" I signal him to get the award back from 'Caesar.'

"I've got it, ma'am."

"Thanks. Tony? Let's get you home, yeah?"

"Sure thing, sweetheart."

Before we can make it to the car with Happy, someone calls out to us.

"Mr. and Mrs. Stark!"

"She's cute," Happy says.

"She's good?" I ask.

"Yeah, she's fine."

"Hi, Christine Everhart with Vanity Fair Magazine."

"What can we do for you?" I ask.

"May I ask just a couple of questions?"

"Sure, why not?" Tony says.

"What do you say to being called the 'da Vinci' of our time?"

"Absolutely ridiculous. I don't paint, but—"

"I do. You've probably seen—"

"Actually, I haven't. Um—how about to the 'Merchant of Death'?"

"That one—it's not bad," Tony replies. "Yeah, I like it. Let me guess, Berkeley."

"Brown, actually," she corrects.

"Well, Ms. Brown, it's an imperfect world, but it's the only we've got. I guarantee you that the day weapons are no longer needed to keep the peace, Lady and I will start making bricks and beams for baby hospitals."

"Why do you call your wife Lady?"

"That's because she is worthy of being a lady of the court," he cheekily replies.

"Rehearse that earlier spiel much?"

"Every night to me before bedtime," I say my tone dripping with sarcasm.

"I can see that. All I want is a serious answer."

"Okay, here's serious. My old man had a philosophy, 'Peace means having a bigger stick than the other guy,'" Tony says seriously.

"That's a great line coming from the guy selling the sticks."

"My father helped defeat the Nazis. He worked on the Manhattan Project. A lot of people, including your professors at Brown, would call that being a hero."

"And a lot of people would also call that war profiteering," she retorts.

"Tell me," I begin, "do you plan to report on the millions we've saved by advancing medical technology or kept from starvation with our intelli-crops? All those breakthroughs, military funding, honey."

"Do you ever lose an hour of sleep your whole life?" she asks Tony.

"All the time. In fact, I think I'm about to lose some tonight."

"Oh, yeah? You think so, Tones?" I ask.

"Well—"

"Yeah?"

"I mean—"

"I'm always down."

"Happy?"

"It's a go, sir."

We get home and quickly head to the bedroom.