Chapter 4: Realization

(Tony's POV)

I pull out different things from my dad and Adelaide's case. I'm sure Liz is watching me from the cameras right now. There's an arc reactor blueprint with both their names on it, and a newspaper clipping "Adelaide Barnes Declared Dead." I finally find a video. It's dad, and Adelaide is working in the background. She looks vaguely familiar.

Everything is achievable through technology. Better living, robust health, and for the first time in human history, the possibility of world peace. I'm Howard Stark, this is Adelaide Barnes, and everything you'll need for the future can be found right here. City of the Future? City of Tomorrow? Lady, what do you think? City of—

I'm Howard Stark, this is Adelaide Barnes, and everything you'll need for the future can be found right here. So, from all of us at Stark Industries. We would like to personally—

Tony, what are you doing back there? What is that? Put that back. Put it back where you got it from. Where's your mother? Maria?

Howie, he's just a kid. Be gentle. Yes, I know this is important, but so is he.

Go on. Go. Go, go, go.

Thanks, Mar.

All right, I think we gotI'llI'llI'll come in andAre you waiting on me?

I always am, Howie.

So, from all of us at Stark Industries, Lady and I'd like to personally show youmy ass.

Howie!!

I'd like toI can'tThis isI can'tWe have this, don't we?

Of course, Howard. Relax, love.

This is a ridiculous way

You'll get it, Howie.

Everything is achievable through technology.

Tony? I've got to say some things before Lady gets back. You're too young to understand this right now, so I thought I would put it on film for you. First, I want to say that Lady is great for you. She'll tell you when she's ready. Moving on, I built this for you with her help, of course. UmSomeday you'll realize that it represents a whole lot more than just people's inventions. It represents my life's work. This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out. And when you do, you will change the world. What is and always will be my greatest creation is you.

Tony, um—you don't really know me yet, but you will? Howie told me I should do this so umm—ask me about anything, and once you're ready—you need to ask me about the night your parents died. In advance, I promise, I never wanted to lie to you. I'm so, so sorry. From the bottom of my heart, I apologize. Bye, Tones. By the way, if it wasn't already obviousI'm Elizabeth.

The reels finally end, and I drive to the office.

"Mrs. Stark? Ms. Stark?" The secretary says opening the door into my wife and daughter's office.

"Relax," I tell the receptionist.

"Your husband—"

"Is here," I state for her.

"He refuses—"

"I don't. It's fine. I'll just be a second."

Lady holds up her finger for me to give her a second, and she motions for Ms. Stafford to leave.