Chapter 4: New Rules

We get to the compound, and I send Vision to get everyone. Once everyone has gathered in the conference room, Ross starts.

"Five years ago—I had a heart attack—and dropped right in the middle of my backswing. Turned out it was the best round of my life because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass—I found something 40 years in the Army had never taught me. Perspective. The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives; but while a great many people see you as heroes—there are some—who would prefer the word vigilantes."

"What word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Nat asks.

"How about dangerous? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose?"

He shows us slides of all the damage done but none of the slides of the cities after I fixed the damage.

"That's enough," my brother says.

"Thanks for not even showing all of my efforts and for thanking me for saving your life all those years ago," I mumble.

"For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision."

I scoff but keep my mouth shut.

"That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution. The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries—it states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead—they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel only when and if that panel deems it necessary."

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that."

"Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?"

"Asgard and Kolkata. Now, get out. We'll let you know our decision by coming to Vienna if we're willing to sign—Get out, Ross."

He cowers in fear and leaves. We move to the common room to discuss it. I'm sitting on the opposite side of the room Tony. He and I already had our own discussion on the way here.

"Secretary Ross has a Congressional Medal of Honor which is one more than you have."

"So, let's say we agree to this thing. How long is it gonna be before they Lo-Jack us like a bunch of common criminals?"

I tune out the discussion until Nat makes a comment.

"Tony, Ady. You're both being uncharacteristically non-hyperverbal."

"It's because they've already made up their minds, and, for once, they don't agree."

"He's right. Tony can explain. I have to go." I text Steve as I leave.