12. I Have a Condition

There was something strange about her having so many people trailing her. She ducked into an alley so she could determine their number, and her pursuers began to follow.

'One, two, three...Seven?'

She had an ominous feeling. Jungkook would not have sent all these people. She wondered if anyone had a grudge against her, and Yerim's face emerged in her mind. Lalisa did not know if Yerim would go as far as to hurt her, but she was the only one who had reason to resent her currently.

'...How troublesome.'

Lalisa entered deeper into the alley where she could not easily seen. She took out a small dagger from a leather strap on her ankle, hidden beneath her large skirt.

'I'll soon find out who ordered them to follow me.'

It was a matter of capturing and interrogating her pursuers. The process of extracting the truth wouldn't be so clean.

This was the biggest city center in the southern region, but going off the main road one could find a cool place even in midday. Ironically enough, there was nowhere as dirty and ugly as in a wealthy area.

Lalisa slipped into a darkened alley without hesitation. She glanced around and spotted a suitable place to deal with her pursuers. She made to move there when–

A hand suddenly grabbed Lalisa by the shoulder and pulled her into the darkness.

Lalisa immediately swung the dagger in her hand towards her opponent. The sharp edge of the knife flashed in the gloom.

The other person swiftly captured her wrist to block her dagger as it aimed for their neck. She heard a low voice in her ear before she was able to launch the next attack.

"Shh."

It was a short word, but she had heard that voice before. Lalisa stopped struggling. If her memory served her right...

As her eyes gradually became accustomed to the darkness, her gaze slowly moved upwards. Hard chest, broad shoulders, and a slender neck. Her eyes rested at the man's face. A sharp jawline and a straight nose, and above it, pale blue irises that stared down at Lalisa. It was as if the blue of his eyes were the only color in the world, and they burned like flames.

"...Your Highness."

It was Prince Jungkook.

As soon as she realized who it was, she noticed that she could feel his warm breath on her forehead. His large hand still gripped her shoulder, and he had enough height that she could only make eye contact when she raised her head. She could feel the strength of his body where they were pressed together. Lalisa's breath caught at the sudden contact.

She watched him as he carefully checked their surroundings. She felt that he must have a purpose and waited patiently. Then, after the brief silence–

At the sudden sound of Jungkook's soft chuckle, Lalisa looked up at him with a confused expression.

"This wasn't the intent, but this isn't so bad."

He whispered in her ear, causing a blush to creep up her cheeks.

"I don't know what's going on, but please let me go."

At her cold tone, Jungkook took his hand off her shoulder with a look of regret.

"I didn't plan to touch you, so please don't look at me like that."

"Like what?"

"Like I'm a villain. You must have forgotten it already, but it was you who pointed a knife at me first."