109. You Are Such A Fool

"It doesn't matter how I heard the story. How long were you planning to keep it from me?"

Jungkook couldn't give an answer to Lalisa's question. He didn't want to lie. He hoped that he would never have to tell her the ugly truth about himself.

"If you're asking that question, there is only one person who could have told you about it."

It was easy to guess that it was his father Gongyoo, who Lalisa happened to return from a meeting with. He knew more than anyone about Gongyoo's obsession with the bloodline, and how the old man would do anything to keep it alive.

Jungkook looked at Lalisa darkly hooded eyes.

"Let's move on. There may be ears listening nearby."

"...Very well."

They continued to walk again, but this time in silence. They could sense each other's feelings without the need to exchange words.

Lalisa had many questions about the Dragon's Orb and the Imperial Family...

And Jungkook was not happy to answer any of them.

*

*

*

They finally arrived at the door Jungkook's office. Security was tight, and it was the best place to have a private conversation. They entered the room, and Jungkook invited Lalisa to sit down.

"You must be tired after going out with your injury. Don't tell me that you're not, and don't push yourself too hard."

"Thank you for your concern. But don't worry, I'm fine."

Jungkook hesitated for a moment and then followed with a nod of his head.

"...Would you like anything to drink?"

"No thank you."

No matter how delicious the drink, she was not in the mood for it. Jungkook sensed her state of mind and simply sat down.

"Very well. You want to know what I wished for on the Dragon's Orb?"

"Yes."

"I don't know what you heard, but you don't have to worry about it. After seeing you hurt, I wondered if it worked."

"You made a wish related to me."

"As I said before, as a child I wanted to go with you to all those places. Even if you were to become the wife of another man, it would be only possible if you were alive."

"So that means..."

A thought suddenly struck her. Jungkook had confessed that he liked her from the start. The ominous prophecy about his first wife dying a miserable death must have been on his mind.

'Surely...'

Realization slowly dawned on her, and her red eyes widened in disbelief. Jungkook continued speaking, oblivious of what was going on in her head.

"I prayed to the Dragon's Orb to keep you from dying."

"Ah...!"

Lalisa was thunderstruck. She had always wondered, how did she get back to the past? Now, for the first time, she had her answer. She thought someone had given her another chance, but she never dreamed that it would be connected to a boy she had only met once.

Jungkook looked at Lalisa's shocked expression and continued to speak.

"Even so, don't put yourself in dangerous situations. As I said, I don't even know if it works."