79. Missmatch

After introducing herself to the servants of the palace, Lalisa met up with Jungkook to pay their respects to the Emperor and Empress. Jungkook wore his usual formal clothes, save for a cravat around his neck. She looked at him curiously, but then turned away as their eyes met. She still felt a bit embarrassed after their kiss at the training hall.

"Tie it for me."

"...What?"

"I heard that other people's wives do it every morning."

"Who did you hear that from?"

"My subordinates."

"Please ask one of the maids to do it."

Jungkook's brow furrowed at Lalisa's rejection.

"Why should I allow a maid to do it when my wife is perfectly capable?"

"I..."

Lalisa paused, and breathed a low sigh. Then slowly, she admitted her inability.

"... I don't know how to tie it."

Jungkook's eyes widened in surprise.

"You've never done it before?"

"There was no one for me to do it for. My father and brother are knights, and they usually wear their uniforms."

The knights' uniforms had standing collars, so there was no reason to wear a cravat. Even when her father and brother did have to wear one, they would ask one of the maids to do it, not Lalisa.

Jungkook's mouth gently lifted upwards.

"Then I can be your first."

"...I really don't know how."

"It's fine."

"People might talk badly of me if they see an uneven cravat."

"Then I'll cut their throat."

She was shocked by the casualness of his remarks. She couldn't tell how much of it was true and how much was a joke.

"We have to go soon."

"What does it matter?"

Jungkook's response caught her off guard. She was about to refuse again, but she knew the futility of it and took the strip of cloth from Jungkook's hand.

"I warned you."

"I know."

Jungkook slightly lowered his upper body, and she concentrated on fastening the cravat around his shirt collar. When she looked up, she saw that his gaze was fixed intently on her.

"...What are you thinking of?"

"Beautiful."

His response came out of nowhere, and Lalisa widened her eyes as she looked up at him. He spoke again, his voice like velvet.

"My wife is so beautiful."

Lalisa's fingertips felt shakier than before, and she suddenly became aware of his proximity to her. His breath tickled her forehead. She didn't want him to notice her burning cheeks, so she hurriedly finished tying the cravat. It didn't look as neat as a maid's work, but it was acceptable enough.

"It's ready."

Jungkook carefully stroked the cravat with a look of satisfaction.

"I should have married you sooner."

Lalisa alternated looking between Jungkook and the cravat, and spoke with a perplexed look on her face.

"Because I did your cravat?"