100. Best Gift

Even after Yoongi's visit to the palace, Lalisa remained busy with further preparations. Not only did she has to work out the details of the date, but she was taking painstaking care to select her dress tonight, far more than with any party or event so far.

Lalisa turned to Nayeon, who was helping her with her fitting.

"How about this? Does this look alright?"

"Of course. All of the dresses you tried so far are beautiful."

"I'm glad that they are..."

Lalisa peered at herself in the mirror.

"...but tonight I want a look that can't easily be forgotten."

Jungkook complimented her every day for looking beautiful, but tonight she wanted to give him a memory that years from now he would remember with stunned appreciation.

Nayeon gave a quiet smile.

"I don't think I've ever seen you so meticulous, Your Highness. You seem even more nervous than the wedding."

"Do you think so?"

"Yes. Are you looking forward to going on your date?"

Lalisa's cheeks colored. She couldn't bring herself to deny it. It was the first time she and Jungkook would go out together since she realized her feelings for him.

"Is it that obvious? That's embarrassing..."

Nayeon's smile widened at Lalisa's honest words. It wasn't often that she saw Lalisa look this happy.

"Why? Wouldn't you prefer to be more honest with the Crown Prince?"

"I do have something to tell him tonight."

She couldn't say to Nayeon that she was in love, as the maid long believed they were already so. Lalisa continued, pointing to another dress on a hanger.

"I'll try that on, too."

"Yes, Your Highness."

Nayeon picked up the dress Lalisa indicated. For the first time in her life, she experienced the dissatisfaction of being unable to choose what to wear, and went through a dozen dresses before making a final selection. After finishing with hair and makeup, she looked around and studied herself in the mirror again.

'I wish a were a little prettier...'

It would have been a shocking statement to anyone who would have heard her say that. Her flowing golden hair, clear skin, and ruby eyes would turn anyone's head. She had almost a doll-like perfection to her, but she had never paid much attention to her appearance before. However, love could make one do anything. She wanted to be the most beautiful person in the world to Jungkook's eyes.

Nayeon approached her from behind and spoke.

"The Crown Prince has arrived."

"Very well."

She surreptitiously tucked the ring box away and stepped out.

As the couple were not going on official imperial business, their departure was a quiet affair. Jungkook stood in front of a plain carriage waiting for Lalisa, but he himself looked so handsome that even an ordinary vehicle somehow seemed luxurious.

"Kookie"

Jungkook looked up, his blue eyes widening when he spotted her. His gaze was fiery as she approached, and when she arrived he spoke in a husky voice.

"You'll make things more difficult for me if you become any more beautiful."

"...?"

"What if I want no one else to look at you?"