119. Do You Have a Handkerchife?

The final rounds of mounted combat were the biggest draws of the tournament. Although the previous three games were enjoyable to watch, it was never as tense as the final battles fought between the ten most skilled fighters of the empire. The stands were filled with cheers as the crowd called out the names of their favorite knights.

"Lord Namjoon, look here!"

"Come on, Joel!"

"Lord Taecyon, go win!"

Since the start, the crowds had heavily cheered for these three men. Now that all three had moved on from the first round and only five knights remained, it was time to find out who was the strongest.

The host spread his arms wide and addressed the stands with a sonorous voice.

"The next match will be fought by two knights who are favored to win. Lord Joel and Lord Taecyon!"

As if it were a trick of fate, Taecyon and Joel were chosen to fight each other in the next round. The crowd looked excitedly amongst themselves, saying "It's like a final game."

Lalisa allowed herself to relax somewhat. The competition would be much easier if either Joel or Wickley were taken out.

Taecyon brushed past Lalisa, and then looked back at her.

"You managed to make it. Does it annoy you that you're only here because you're the princess' older brother?"

"...?"

Now that Taecyon had spoken to her, she was able to make a rough guess of what happened before.

'Did my brother not want to give up because of something Taecyon said?'

Her face hardened behind her visor, knowing the hidden truth. Taecyon continued to smile maliciously at her.

"You hold false courage, but just wait. I'll knock Joel down first, and then I'll crush you."

Taecyon left her with those mocking words and headed for the arena. Lalisa, who had been tight-lipped up until this point, finally spoke.

"...It remains to be seen who will be crushed. Don't lose if you want to fight me."

She deepened her voice as much as she could, but it wasn't a convincing imitation of Namjoon. However, Taecyon didn't notice and cackled derisively.

"Isn't that what you told me earlier?"

Lalisa didn't know it, but Namjoon had said something similar.

— Don't get eliminated. I'll end you myself.

Taecyon recalled Namjoon's words and laughed once more.

"Just go back to the princess and cry at her knee. It will be a lot faster than beating me. Hahaha."

Taecyon turned and headed back to the area. He would never know that the person wearing Namjoon's helmet was the princess herself.

She smiled as her eyes blazed fiercely.

"Yes. Maybe I'll deal with you quickly."

*

Everyone watched the match with heightened enthusiasm, but Lalisa head was far cooler and calculated. She had simply aimed to win the tournament, but Taecyon's words made her more serious and determined than before.

Taecyon's lance shot towards Joel, but Joel dodged and made his own swift counterattack. This was a spectacular match to anyone who watched, but uncertainty stirred in Lalisa's mind.

'They fight with remarkable skill.'

Objectively, it was undeniable that Joel and Taecyon were both excellent knights. However, while Taecyon appeared to be fighting as hard as he could, Joel didn't seem to be responding with relatively strong attacks. It was as if he had no intention of winning against Taecyon in the first place.