19. No Other Answer

As they traveled north from the warmer southern region, the weather turned chillier. Lalisa fussed over Roseanne, covering her sister up in another layer of blanket as she lay in bed.

"How do you feel? Are you too cold?"

"No, I'm alright now."

They were about halfway long between the south and the capital. Because of  Roseanne's weak disposition, their journey was significantly delayed even though they initially left in a hurry. Roseanne's health was the top priority, so Lalisa ordered the entourage to stop at an inn.

"I'll raise the heat in this room, so you should feel better in a little while. I'll be going out soon, so stay in bed if you're tired."

"Alright. I'm sorry you have to go alone."

"Don't worry yourself over it."

Lalisa smiled and gently swept Roseanne's forehead. The jeweler sent a message shortly after they left Blaise Castle, informing them that the hair ornament was finished sooner than expected and could be delivered at the halfway point. Since there was no need to delay, Lalisa made the appointment to pick it up today. She original planned for her and Roseanne to go out together, but Roseanne was weakened and Lalisa was only planning on a quick trip.

"Rest well."

She pulled Roseanne's blanket up to her chin and stood up. The meeting place was not far from the inn, so she wouldn't be long.

She carefully closed the door to avoid disturbing Roseanne's rest, then went to her room beside Roseanne's to retrieve the receipt for the butterfly pin.

However...

As soon as she entered her dark, unlit room, she sensed a subtle presence. Lalisa held her breath and focused on locating the intruder's hiding place. Her scarlet eyes scanned across the area, alighting upon a tall cabinet sitting next to a large window. Lalisa took a step towards it. Suddenly a low voice of a man broke through the pitch-black darkness.

"How did you know I was hiding here?"

It wasn't exactly a question, but an observation that she saw his cover. As soon as Lalisa heard the voice, she recognized it as Jimin immediately.

"What are you doing hiding in someone else's room?"

"I've been waiting because you were gone for a while. But how did you detect me?"

Jimin seemed quite surprised that Lalisa discovered his position. She hesitated for a moment, not knowing how to answer the question. She didn't think he'd be fooled by a false excuse.

"...Well, let's leave it to Sir Kasha's imagination."

Neither telling the truth nor a lie, she instead chose to make up a story. Jimin understood her not wanting to elaborate on one's methods, and chose a simple response.

"...I see."

He stepped forward from the darkness, the dim light from the window silhouetting his figure. He holding out the documents he brought along.

"This is the information about the Krauses that you requested."

"Thank you."

Although she wanted to look at the report right away, she had a prior engagement. She picked up the jeweler's receipt from her desk, then placed down the documents Jimin handed her on the same spot.

"I have to leave for a while to pick something up. You don't have to follow me as it's not far from here and I'll be escorted by my knights. Can you wait here until I come back?"