59. A Closer Eyes

The social scene was dominated with gossip about Jungkook's and Lalisa's marriage announcement. There used to be all kinds of dark rumors about Jungkook's time on the battlefield, but now he had attracted the interest of many young women since his appearance at the ball. From his love affair with Lalisa to his sudden marriage announcement, the public's attention was keenly focused on all the dramatic developments.

Aside from the massive public exposure, there were many smaller happenings in the capital as well. Yerim, for example, who had almost been left to dust, had suddenly ascended as the Empress' lady-in-waiting.

Presently, Jennie was now visiting Blaise mansion.

"I heard about your wedding, Lady Blaise. Congratulations."

"Thank you. Because of your help at the party I was able to silence the rumors spread by Lady Selby."

Jennie was abashed by Lalisa's humble gratitude.

"Oh, that's not really because of me. It was when the Crown Prince showed up with the noble's head that everyone had no choice."

Though Jennie was nearly frightened to death at that time, she couldn't help but notice Jungkook's intense aura of charisma about him.

"At first I thought the Crown Prince was terrifying, but when I looked back...I think he did it all for you, Lady Blaise. I envy that you are so loved."

"Thank you. You will be even more loved by your husband."

Jennie gave a shy smile at Lalisa's warm words. Since the party, they had been exchanging letters and had grown close. There were many things that Jennie had to say, but she had to speak of the most important now.

"Are you busy preparing for the wedding? I came here because what I heard about Lady Selby. Do you know about her appointment as the Empress' lady-in-waiting?"

"Yes, I just found out."

"I wonder why the Empress would have Lady Selby by her side...I came here because I was worried what will happen now that Lady Selby is in power."

Lalisa was also concerned about what further scheming Yerim was up to. It really must have been Lady Selby that Roseanbe spotted in the carriage the day they went to the palace.

And if the Empress and Yerim really did meet, what would they have talk about? Lalisa couldn't shake off her unease.

'I've never met the Empress formally, but somehow I have a feeling of dread.'

She was already on her guard after Jungkook had warned her about the Empress. But even without it, she knew her relationship with the Empress was already troubled for some reason.

"Are you planning to return to the south?"

"Yes. I don't mind staying in the capital, but there's not much for me to do here. I'm thinking of returning after your wedding."

The south wasn't entirely comfortable for Jennie after all those bad rumors about her, but she had even less peace of mind in the capital with Yerim's ascension as lady-in-waiting. That was why Jennie came to Lalisa to warn her for the last time before preparing to leave. Although there was less cause for concern with Jungkook by Lalisa's side, there were still many spheres of society where men couldn't get involved. Jennie was worried about Lalisa being left alone.

Lalisa sensed the sincerity of Jennie's heart without her even speaking.

"Lady Lawrence, would you stay in the capital for my sake?"

"What do you mean?"

"As soon as I become crown princess, I would like to appoint you as my first lady-in-waiting."