38. There's Trouble

It was Prince Jungkook who captured the most attention after the ball by far. It was only natural, as it was his first formal appearance in high society. Previously, Prince Mingyu had been treated as if he were the crown prince, but there was a new wind blowing among the nobles. It also helped that Jungkook was extremely handsome as well, and there was much talk among the ladies. And...

There was also interest in the relationship between the prince and the daughter of a count. The attention on Lady Blaise burned hot as well, for her beauty and fashion were so exceptional for her to be chosen as Madonna of the ball. Lalisa, who had paid little attention to the capital's social circles before, emerged as the talk of the town. She could feel many changes in the air from the day after the ball.

"Here is another invitation for you."

Bambam had delivered hundreds of letters to her already, containing invitations to tea parties, charity events and social gatherings. All of them were asking for Lalisa's presence.

"...I have so many invitations."

She had been to the battlefield many times in her last life, but this was the first time she had received this kind of attention. This everyday routine was unfamiliar to her. She couldn't imagine how many more invitations she would receive if this was the loot from a single day.

When Roseanne walked into Lalisa's room to greet her good morning, she was taken by surprise at the scene.

"Oh! Are all these invitations for you?"

"Yes."

"Wow. Being the Madonna of the ball is amazing."

Lalisa smiled as Roseanne bounded gleefully into the room and looked at the towering stack of letters. Lalisa was still trying to sort out what to do. She couldn't accept every single invitation, but she knew it was important to attend these gatherings. Jungkook had warned her of the Empress, and Lalisa knew this would be the best time to establish herself within society as much as possible before she became crown princess. However, she couldn't tell which of these invitations was most important.

'...There are so many things I don't know.'

She could have Jimin provide more information on high society in the capital city, but she also wished she had some sort of helper to give her advice. But since she had no such helper, she worried over the invitations by herself.

At last she managed to narrow them down to a few and expressed her willingness to attend.

*

*

*

A few days have passed since then. Invitations poured in everyday until the letterbox was fit to burst.

'Is something wrong?'

She had been told that Jennie had come to the mansion to see her. She had a foreboding feeling.

"Excuse me, My Lady. Lady Lawrence is waiting for you now in the drawing room."

"Is she? I'll be right down."

Lalisa came out to greet Jennie despite the suddenness of her visit. She already knew that Yerim was the mastermind of the scheme at the tea party, and now that Jennie had apologized Lalisa no longer bore an ill will. Jennie had grown close to Roseanne, and Lalisa was interested in maintaining a good relationship with the other young woman.

Lalisa opened the door to the drawing room and saw Jennie seated in front of an elegant table.

"Lady Lawrence, what brings you here without an appointment?"