135. If Today Is The Last Day

"Who the hell are you?"

"..."

The men did not speak, and their only response was to lift their swords together in preparation of an attack. Jungkook stepped in front of Lalisa to shield her.

"We have to get out."

"I agree."

Lalisa was about to rush back towards the carriage, but several men had already surrounded the carriage, and they cut down the driver and horse with their swords. Part of her vision went black as the large animal collapsed to the ground. Due to the Northern Palace's isolation, no transportation meant that they were effectively stranded. Lalisa and Jungkook did not expect to be ambushed in the Imperial Palace, and did not have a single guard with them.

"Lalisa!"

Jungkook cried out to her, and Lalisa turned her head as he tossed her a sword.

She caught the sword and rushed back to Jungkook's side, before facing the men again. Her fluid skill and expert stance momentarily confused the assassins, but they soon regained their reason, and with a loud cry, they rushed towards the pair.

Steel flashed in the night, and as Jungkook and Lalisa fought, the disadvantages piled up on them. There were too many men blocking them to be able to make their escape. No matter their elite skills, they still had physical limitations. In the end, they would run out of stamina and the hoard of troops would overwhelm them.

Lalisa took further stock of the situation. The fact that there was an ambush prepared in the place where Gongyoo called them likely meant he was in trouble.

"What happened to Father?"

Jungkook's eyes darkened ominously at Lalisa's question, but he remained focused on the immediate problem in front of them.

"Let's think about getting out of here first."

There was a squelching sound as Jungkookdrove his sword into a man's chest and then pulled it out. The body collapsed to the ground and blood gushed into the air. Because they were fighting off so many men at once, their clothes were soon soaked dark red with blood. Jungkook gritted his teeth.

"I wanted to avoid this if possible, but I have no other choice."

"What are you suggesting?"

"It's not a great plan, but follow me. I'll break through the path, so watch my back."

"Understood."

Jungkook was far more familiar with the terrain and layout of the Northern Palace. She followed his rapid footsteps and protected his back. The assassins were hot on their heels, determined to end Jungkook no matter what.

"Ah!"

As Lalisa blocked off three of the assassins, one of them managed to cut her right arm with their sword. Although the damage was minimal, she couldn't afford an injury when she was constantly moving. The wound wasn't deep, but blood dripped down from her limb. Jungkook glanced at her injury and grimaced silently.

Jungkook and Lalisa grunted as they simultaneously fought to keep the assassins at bay and flee towards their escape route. If they failed...they may both lose their lives here.

Jungkook blocked a sword headed straight for Lalisa, then spoke to her with a dark expression.

"If I had known this would happen, I wouldn't have brought my wife. "

Despite the danger before them, Lalisa gave a smile small at the fact that Jungkook would speak something so heartfelt at this time.

"What do you mean? Without me, your chances of surviving would have been halved."