102. I...Love...You

Both were able to successfully evade the enemy forces longer than expected.

Swiig! Swig!

However, the number of assassins in hot pursuit gradually swelled to several times more than before. Arrows were coming from several directions at once now, and making it difficult to evade.

"Kookie, watch out—!"

No sooner had Jungkook dodged left, another arrow flew in the air right at them.

An arrow struck Jungkook's horse, and it twisted sharply and reared up its front legs, tossing its riders onto the ground. Jungkook quickly covered Lalisa's body and rolled them away.

Several arrows struck the ground where they had been moments earlier. After safely dodging all the attacks, Lalisa raised herself up and clutched her dagger. Her dress was torn and dirtied from her tumble to the ground, but no one ridiculed her appearance. Waves of fierce energy was radiating from her.

"Kookie, let's get rid of some of the men on horseback. If we drag our feet here, more of them will come after us."

Jungkook rose from the ground as well and pulled his sword from his waist.

"At your command, my wife."

No more words were needed. Jungkook and Lalisa rushed at the group of soldiers closest to them at the same time. He was ruthlessly efficient, targeting the enemies' vital points to quickly dispatch them. She was similarly making quick work with her dagger, appearing in front of the enemy in a blink of an eye and slashing their throats.

Together they took down three or four people, and their eyes blazed with such bloodlust that the remaining assassins were forced to slow down their approach. It was then the sound of dozens more horse hooves began to ring in the air. It was too early for Jungkook's reinforcements to have arrived, and the sound was not coming from the direction of the Imperial Palace. That meant that more assassins were coming their way.

Jungkook pushed off one of the dead men from his horse and climbed on.

"Lisa!"

She knew what to do without any further communication, and she pushed off another dead man from his horse and clambered on.

"Hyaaa!"

At her cry, the two horses leapt forward and galloped on. A single horse would have been slowed down carrying the both of them at the same time. Despite their new advantage, however, the new pursuers seemed different from the assassins from before, and their clothes were embroidered with conspicuous golden flowers on their shoulders. It was strangely more ominous. Lalisa couldn't put it into words, but she knew that these new soldiers were far more skilled. She wasn't the only one; Jungkook's expression turned grim as he saw them.

"We need to split up."

"What do you mean?"

"If we stay together, the forces will concentrate in one place. We need to split up and meet up again later."

She didn't like this plan. Even if they split up, the enemy would likely pursue only the Crown Prince instead of dividing their forces. Her position as crown princess was meaningless once Jungkook was removed, and they had no heirs anyway. As the situation became more dire, she realized that Jungkook was only trying to protect her.

"If you say that again, I'll be very angry."

She had told him the first time she met him—I will be the one to protect you. She had no intention of breaking that vow.

"Kookie, I'll be dead before I leave your side."

Jungkook's expression turned grave, but a faint smile played on his lips.