75. Good Night My Wife

"I-it looks well-prepared. It's a shame about the red flowers though...there are still many lavender flowers left at Bellouet Square, and I would've had some delivered here if I had known."

Lalisa rambled on the first words that came to mind as she took in the red petals scattered throughout the room. She didn't want to let Jungkook know she was nervous. Jungkook sank into a luxurious couch with an indifferent expression and replied in a low voice.

"Was it lavender decorating Bellouet Square? I didn't know that."

She couldn't believe he entirely missed that prominent detail. Purple was not a common wedding color.

"The lavenders were everywhere, didn't you notice? What were you looking at in the venue—?"

Lalisa paused. A scene floated at the forefront of her mind, the moment when Jungkook's blue eyes riveted on her.

'He must be joking...'

Lalisa's red eyes glistened in astonishment.

"You didn't know what I was looking at."

"I..."

"If you're curious, shall I tell you?"

Lalisa didn't need him to tell her. His likely answer would be that the wedding decorations were unmemorable and he only looked at her. Her face heated in embarrassment at the thought.

"Ah, never mind. It's only flowers at the wedding ceremony."

Lalisa hurried to reply before Jungkook could say anything further. He noticed her sudden bashfulness however, and a smile tugged on the corner of his mouth.

"How long are you going to stand there?"

"Ah..."

She suddenly realized that she had remained standing by the door, and reminded herself that this marriage was a path she willingly chosen. She relaxed the tension in her shoulders, and with a determined look, went inside. The enormity of those few steps were overwhelming.

She closed the door, and soon she was fully inside the room. After inhaling deeply, she turned as casually as she could and approached the other end of the couch where Jungkook was sitting. He observed her wordlessly, then picked up the bottle of red wine sitting on the table.

"Do you want a drink?"

"...I'm fine."

She briefly considered it, but then thought it wouldn't be a good idea at this time. Jungkook poured himself a glass and took a sip without further comment. Lalisa couldn't help but notice how attractive he looked as he did so, and kept stealing furtive glances at him. Jungkook, oblivious to her interest, emptied his glass then spoke again.

"Please don't be nervous. When I sense it...I get thoughts."

"...!"

He seemed to have noticed the tension twisting Lalisa's mind despite her outward calm appearance. With no particular reply to give him, she sat and listened as he continued in a subdued voice.

"Try to hide it as much as possible from now on, even in this room. If I sense an opening, I'll want to penetrate it."

The words that sounded like a warning could be interpreted in many ways.

'An opening...'

The condition in their contract stated that they not sleep together until after she became the empress. It was almost unreasonable to expect for a man and woman to stay together and expect nothing would happen between them.

Just because Lalisa was inexperienced about romance, didn't mean she was ignorant. Eventually, the time would come where she would have to lay with Jungkook. But that couldn't happen now. Before Jungkook became emperor, she would be his weapon, rather than his woman.