90. The Pain Was Good

Roseanne packed a picnic basket full of food, and headed to the mountainside accompanied only with Jimin. It was unusual that she didn't bring any other maids or servants, and the butler tried to persuade her otherwise, but she made excuses about feeling too crowded. In reality, she couldn't talk freely to Kuhn if there was anyone else. Kuhn was vaguely aware of the fact, but he pretended to be ignorant.

"Wow, look at all the forsythia flowers here. They're so beautiful."

It was an idyllic spring day, and a warm breeze floated in the air. Roseanne kept expressing her admiration for the blooms, while Jimin looked on with a blank expression. He was not impressed by natural landscapes. Flowers were just flowers, and trees were just trees. He couldn't understand why people admired the changing of the seasons.

And so they had opposite reactions, but they did not force their own opinions on each other. Roseanne continued to be delighted, while Jimin simply observed her. They were an unusual combination that didn't match at all, but nevertheless, they weren't uncomfortable with each other.

Roseanne pointed to a small bird sitting on a large branch.

"Oh, look over there. That bird is so cute."

"Yes."

Despite the bluntness of his response, Roseanne smiled. They strolled around the mountainside and took in the natural beauty of spring.

After some time, they settled down on a blanket and unpacked the picnic basket from Blaise mansion. There was an unbelievable amount of food inside, and there was barely any room for them to sit on when Roseanne finished laying them out. When she finished, she smiled at Jimin.

"Help yourself, Jimin."

Jimin knew from experience that he couldn't refuse her, and so he nodded and thanked her.

"Yes, Young Lady."

No matter how tasty the food he ate was, his expression remained the same. He did not show his feelings out of habit. Roseanne would sometimes stop eating to watch him, and though he felt a little awkward, he continued to eat silently. No matter who looked at them, the combination of the lovely young lady and a taciturn servant was quite unusual.

They ended up eating half the food they brought, and Roseanne watched Kuhn as he quietly cleaned up.

"How does it feel to go out and have some fresh air?"

"What do you mean?"

"You were looking a little depressed these days. Actually, I wanted to bring some more food. Watching the scenery while eating delicious food is the best way to relax."

"..."

Jimin had never properly relaxed before, and didn't understand it well. It was the first time in his life that he had ever had leisure. If it weren't for Roseanne, Jimin wouldn't never have gone on a picnic. What was clear to him, however, was that looking at the flowers and listening to the birds did make him lose his uneasiness.

'Has she been observing my mood?'

Jimin often wore an impassive mask, and it was difficult for others to tell if he was happy or unhappy. Roseanne, however, seemed to have seen through his gloomy mood. The irony was that the cause of his melancholy was Roseanne herself, who prevented him from leaving Blaise mansion.

Jimin gave her a curious look, and finished packing up the picnic basket.

"What do you want to do next, Young Lady? Do you want to look around a little more? Or do you want to go back to the mansion now?"

Their carriage was at the bottom of the mountainside. Jimin had driven it alone, and no one else was waiting for them there. That meant that Roseanne could arrange the schedule as she pleased.