97. This is Enough For Now

The Selby mansion was in chaos after Yerim was arrested for attempting to murder the Crown Prince. Marquis Oswald, her father, burst to the mansion in the middle of the night, and roared at the butler that was waiting for him at the entrance.

"What the hell happened!"

"I-I'm sorry, My Lord. There seemed to have been a major incident."

"Yerim has caused trouble more than once, so just tell me what happened."

"Well...it appears that she purchased an aphrodisiac and slipped it in the Crown Prince's tea. I have heard from the maids recently that the Empress would support Lady Selby to become the Crown Prince's second wife. She was excited about the arrangement."

"She should've waited patiently for the Empress' move. What's the hurry to act on her own?"

At Oswald's reprimand, the butler gave a low bow.

"I-I'm sorry. I should have kept a closer eye."

"It doesn't matter. It already happened, and placing blame won't help now. First, we must make sure the palace interrogator is on our side."

The butler's face darkened at his words.

"I tried to arrange it before you came, but...it's too late."

"Too late?"

"Yes. The Crown Princess had already designated an interrogator in advance."

"...Damn it."

Oswald's face crumpled. Normally the presence of an interrogator was insignificant, but in such a situation, they became a person of incredible importance. Depending on who they were, evidence could be manipulated and the treatment the accused received in prison could be completely changed. Oswald spoke with increasing irritation.

"Are the evidence and witnesses already secured?"

"I'm still trying to find out all the details, but the young Lady Jenner, who often socialized with Yerim, has turned traitor and become a witness."

"Tsk. That is why I taught her not to trust anyone. You can't rely on people with lower status, even if they are a noble."

Oswald turned his heel and boarded his carriage. He needed more information, but it was already clear that the circumstances were unfavorable to Yerim. He couldn't waste more time yelling at people in the mansion, and he urgently needed those who could lend him their power. Oswald was not an influential power in the south for nothing. He excelled in his ability to judge the situation.

"First, find out the total value of all the family's assets. If things go wrong, I may have to pour out all the wealth I have."

The butler answered with a look of dismay.

"Yes, My Lord."

As soon as Oswald heard his answer, he gave a low order to the driver waiting.

"The Empress' palace, immediately."

The carriage started again, and Oswald left one last message to the butler.

"Cut off everything related to Viscount Jenner. Once this case is finished, I'll make them pay dearly for this betrayal."

"Yes, My Lord."

The butler bowed deeply in answer, and the carriage rode away from the mansion again.

*

*

*

Lalisa was embarrassed that after receiving such a passionate confession from Jungkook, she had to sleep in the same space as him. Their arrangement had become routine to her, and whatever happened in the day, they would see each other in the evening. The same was true after sharing not-so-chaste kisses with him. She could no longer avoid the feelings in her heart.