158. Don't Die

Hyunbin's expression turned grim as he looked at Namgil leaving with his escort of soldiers.

'Did my attempt fail?'

Hyunbin had abandoned all expectations of surviving from the beginning. He knew all too well that he couldn't win, but that didn't mean he would die in vain. His ultimate goal was to rescue Lalisa, but he also hoped to deal a severe blow to Namgil. If Hyunbin and his knights could take him out, there would be nothing better. Even if the odds were slim...the final goal was to kill the traitor.

It was a massive stroke of luck when Hyunbin saw Namgil enter the battlefield, and Hyunbin quickly arranged a plan with a few of his men. If two of them could restrain Namgil, Hyunbin could strike the grand duke with a fatal blow.

Realistically, Hyunbin did not view the plan with a high chance of success, as Namgil was not one to be killed by such an attack. In the end, he only ended up with an injury to his hand, but...

'I suppose...I should be satisfied with just that.'

It was a pity that only one hand was obtained in exchange for Hyunbin's and his men's lives, but it wasn't too bad if the hand was Namgil's.

Hyunbin knocked down an enemy with his sword, but an attack from the side caught him by surprise.

"Aagh!

Before he could check the wound, another enemy soldier rushed at him.

Hyunbin tried to push through the bodies of men and run towards to Namgil, but the battlefield was packed with enemies. He cast his eyes around to assess the current situation. There were about eighty Ruford knights in the beginning, and now they were down to only ten. And that number continued to decrease.

Eight, seven...now three.

At that moment, a spear struck Hyunbin's shoulder. He staggered back, just as another enemy soldier rushed at him. His vision blurred before him, but he gritted his teeth to keep focus. With all his strength, he slashed at his opponent's neck. At the same time, the enemy's attack landed on him, and blood spurted from his forearm.

"Haa, haa."

He barely had enough strength to even lift his sword. Nevertheless, Hyunbin straightened his back and faced the battlefield. He was the leader of the Fourth Order of Knights of the Ruford Empire. He always lived by the sword, and fought for the palace. Because of that...

'I'm taking down one more person with me.'

Hyunbin kept swinging his sword. Even though he felt no sensation in his hands, and he was so exhausted that he couldn't even see properly, his blade danced and spun in the air.

Suddenly, a sword was lodged in his flank. He stumbled at the fatal attack.

Not even a beat later, another long spear shot towards him and stabbed his stomach.

His body fell backwards and hit the ground. He shuddered for a few moments, and then went limp.

"You son of a bitch..."

The enemy soldier was heaving deep breaths and sweating profusely. It had been a terrible fight indeed, and the red color on Hyunbin's blond hair was evidence to its ferocity. Another soldier came up to him.

"What happened?"

The soldier who had struck Hyunbin with a spear nodded at the body.

"He's dead."

The other soldier nodded at hearing the report, and he saw Namgil approaching them.

"How is your hand, My Lord?"